You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping options not showing on APhoto

• 4 years later...

I am having the same problem, but unfortunately show content toolbar didn't do the trick. 
There is no handles and no grid when I click the cropping tool. I might have pressed some key combination that has hid it but I can't seem get it back.
Please advice. 

Affinity Photo 1.8.6
Mac Catalina 10.15.7

EDIT: The APhoto app just crashed, and when re-opened, everything was back to normal. Weird.
I can also add that a few days ago the app crashed several times when I tried to open a .heic file. 

Edited by nbmalin
Added software details

33 minutes ago, nbmalin said:

I am having the same problem, but unfortunately show content toolbar didn't do the trick. 
There is no handles and no grid when I click the cropping tool. I might have pressed some key combination that has hid it but I can't seem get it back.
Please advice. 

Affinity Photo 1.8.6
Mac Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Are you sure you're in Photo? That sounds like you might be in Designer.

But if you're really in Photo, it would help to have a screenshot of the entire window while you have the Crop Tool selected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

It appears the crop tool doesn't show handles when the file isn't  *.afphoto.

Not only does it have to be *.afphoto, it has to have originated as an *.afphoto file... saving another format as *.afphoto doesn't fix the crop tool.

Of course any new workspace that hasn't yet been saved also works fine.

I'd guess the vector crop tool and raster crop tools are in conflict otherwise and it breaks the tool.

3 minutes ago, Nightstalker said:

It appears the crop tool doesn't show handles when the file isn't  *.afphoto.

Not only does it have to be *.afphoto, it has to have originated as an *.afphoto file... saving another format as *.afphoto doesn't fix the crop tool.

Of course any new workspace that hasn't yet been saved also works fine.

I'd guess the vector crop tool and raster crop tools are in conflict otherwise and it breaks the tool.

It would help to have a screenshot to illustrate what you're saying.

Normally, Photo will use the canvas-based crop tool, but if you are working on a file with Pages or with Artboards, rather than a canvas, and you are using Photo, you'll get the vector crop Tool as that is the kind of crop tool used with those documents.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

image.png.bb6efc5921c7bce415201ead45dee755.png

This is a *.afphoto file. As you can see, the crop tool works fine.

image.png.bfb5e3fbb6533c5ad34e0d562a5c43a6.png

This is an *.afpub file opened in afphoto. As you can see, the crop tool doesn't work.

the crop tool doesn't work for ANY *.afpub files, no matter which of the three programs it is opened in.

My work around is to just copy and paste the layers into a new *.afphoto file and it works. But, this shouldn't have to be the case, as these formats are supposed to all work with and within each others perspective programs.

Edited by Nightstalker

29 minutes ago, Nightstalker said:

This is an *.afpub file opened in afphoto. As you can see, the crop tool doesn't work.

I can't see that, because you didn't include the complete application window in your screenshot, which means I can't see what is happening.

29 minutes ago, Nightstalker said:

the crop tool doesn't work for ANY *.afpub files, no matter which of the three programs it is opened in.

As I said, if you have a document with Pages or Artboards, you have a Vector Crop Tool, not the standard crop tool used in Photo. As you have a .afpub file, it presumably has Pages, and therefore you get a Vector (object) Crop Tool. It works perfectly well, just differently than you're used to.

It does not have options, as it simply crops a single object, much like clipping the object into a Rectangle.

-- Walt
PC: