F_Kal

[AP trial] and [AD] Stroke rendering engine anti-aliasing issues

Hi people! I've been playing around with the AP trial and my wacom, and after a long story I realized there is something going on with how brush strokes are rendered in AP. In short, they are a bit coarse. I remember that a year or so ago, I had a similar issue with AD, but since then it's no longer an issue. Strangely I can't find the forum thread I reported it, so maybe I never got around to reporting it? dunno...

Here is the AP variant ;-)

Bug in Affinity Photo: Aliased brush strokes

I do penciling and the AP brush strokes appear somehow too harsh. In manga studio/clip paint, artrage or photoshop it never posed an issue. But in AP It looks starnge and I keep checking if I'm zoomed by some strange factor (eg. 103.333% or 51.27%) and hence the jagged lines.

To illustrate my point here are similar strokes painted in Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Manga studio (clip paint). Of course manga studio and AD simplify the stroke but the displayed issue is not related. Hardness in all three brushes is maxed out. and zoom level is 100%

AP:

post-10622-0-33895300-1478565539_thumb.png

note that I've minimized spacing but even with a more casual value of 10 the jaggedness would be the same

AD:

post-10622-0-70167800-1478565541_thumb.png

Note that Affinity Designer still has the issue in the brush preview panel (Brush - Selection), but the actual stroke turns out fine.

Manga Studio (brush aliasing set to medium):

post-10622-0-24438100-1478565550_thumb.png

Details comparison:

post-10622-0-85566300-1478566438_thumb.png

I believe PS to be even smoother, but I haven't got it on my current machine so I can't test it.

I hope my point is obvious: the Clip Paint stroke is very smooth all-over, the AD is less smooth, but still smooth enough, but the AP gets too crips at times - appears jagged and... wrong (sorry I can't pinpoint it exactly)

Bug in Affinity Designer

While rendering the stroke in the artboard is fine nowadays, the stroke preview in the Brush-Selection panel still appears jagged just like AP. As if there is a different anti-aliasing level for the brush preview and the actual stroke!

Thoughts

In manga studio/clip paint, anti-aliasing strength can be further tweaked per brush. An option like that would be welcome in AD and AP, but this is secondary.

hope this report made sense!

-Fotis

My dirty trick has been setting hardness to zero or low value, and/or -depends on the case-  work at really large resolution (good for other matters, too) , then resize with Lanczos.

AD, AP and APub.  Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1650 4GB, 500GB m.2 SSD, 1TB HDD 7200rpm. Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

16 hours ago, SrPx said:

My dirty trick has been setting hardness to zero or low value, and/or -depends on the case-  work at really large resolution (good for other matters, too) , then resize with Lanczos.

I guess it's a bit inconvenient in digital painting.

Well....Actually I always paint in much larger res than my final output..... so.... If I still was painting for video games, and less for print, that'd be another story, I recon that...

AD, AP and APub.  Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1650 4GB, 500GB m.2 SSD, 1TB HDD 7200rpm. Wacom Intuos 4 XL.