You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening PSD or Tiff with alpha - no background

In AF Photo, when I open a PSD or Tiff that has an alpha channel the background is missing ... I only get the transparency.  How do I show the image's background (everything outside the alpha)?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Hi MEB,

I just tried in the beta and I'm getting the same thing.

I can see my background if I Invert the Background Alpha, but then the part that I want to see is masked and I just see the transparency.

I can't find any way of being able to toggle the alpha's visibility so that I can either see my image with the alpha or without it as I would in PS.

• Staff

I don't think it's possible to toggle a (Spare) channel as you do in Photoshop. For now the closest way to achieve a similar function would be to load the Spare channel to the Pixel Selection then create a mask from it in the Layers panel (make sure the correct layer is selected). Finally invert the Pixel selection is the Channels panel and click again on the Mask icon in the Layers panel to create another mask. You can then use the mask's visibility in the Layers panel to toggle them.

I've tried this a few times, but cannot make it work so that the background is visible.

The new masks (on the layer) just mask everything totally.  If I subsequently clear the Background Apha, so that there is no alpha at all (so that the entire image should be visible) it just clears the entire image.

The only way I can get to see the background is by toggling the Composite Alpha channel.  Nothing else works.

Uploaded as GFS.zip

File should have a black background.  Only way I can find to see it is turning OFF Composite Red, Green and Blue and leaving Composite Alpha turned on.

• 2 weeks later...