You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5.0 - Beta 10)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 10 Here

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity in which you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity Photo 1.5 cannot be opened in Photo 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

It's also worth noting that this beta is completely file-format compatible with the recently released Affinity Designer 1.5.1 in the Mac App Store - although the above disclaimer still applies!

Improvements & Fixes

- Upgraded RAW support - over 70 new cameras supported.

- Apply image - ability to drag and drop any layer from layers tab to be used as source.
- Large performance improvements with Apply Image and Equations filters.
- Many new functions for Equations filter.
- User selectable extend mode for equation distortion filter.
- New tone mapping presets (you may need to run with Ctrl held and clear tone map presets to see them).
- Slightly improved macro page icons (more to come).
- When playing back a macro from the Macro page, it will offer the playback interactive controls on a panel (like the library panel).
- Macro recorded equirectangular live projection now expose their arguments for interactive playback.
- Numerous other commands offer more interactive playback options when macro recorded.
- When selecting macro parameters to be shown at playback, you can now give them custom names.
- Size and location of pixel selection is now available to Equations filter as sx,sy,sw,sh.

- Fixed layout issues in Preferences panel.
- Font fly-out fixes / improvements.
- Stock page cosmetic fixes on Sierra.
- Effects panel - minor cosmetic fixes.
- Fixed artefacts with Rectangular To Polar command.
- Fixed de-fringe filter in 32bit RGB.
- White balance now works properly in 32bit Develop.
- FFT denoise now works properly in 32bit RGB.
- Lighting filter works properly in 32bit RGB.
- Fixed histogram scaling.
- Fixed weird text boxes on the Spherical filter.

- Numerous other small cosmetic improvements.

We are working on the Linked Layers functionality and a couple of other final improvements at the moment - these will be released soon. At that point, we will enter the release candidate phase for Photo 1.5.

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team      :ph34r:

Hello,

Affinity Photo Beta is not loading the EXIF metadata from my Nikon NEF raw files. When I load such a file in APB 10, it says "No Camera Data" where AP 1.4.3 shows the camera model and lens info, and the EXIF studio shows no information. AP 1.4.3 loads this data just fine. I've had the same problem with Betas 6 and 8.

Michael

Playing with Equations by Andy and noise functions by Ben!

Thanks both!  :)

This is a stupid one, improved and can be used starting from a 50% grey or pure black

Set Extend Mode to:

• Full for a solid background
  • Zero for alpha
x = (c/(a))*noise2(sin(a*(x+y)),b*y)
y = (c/(a))*noise4(b*x,sin(a*(y+x)))

C = Depth

A = Randomness of fibers (Tartan > A > Canvas)

B = Scale

This is the final seamless texture, suitable for tiling or brushwork

DAUB_paper_105.png

Enjoy!  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• Staff

msa,

Welcome to the Serif affinity forums.

Hello,

Affinity Photo Beta is not loading the EXIF metadata from my Nikon NEF raw files. When I load such a file in APB 10, it says "No Camera Data" where AP 1.4.3 shows the camera model and lens info, and the EXIF studio shows no information. AP 1.4.3 loads this data just fine. I've had the same problem with Betas 6 and 8.

Michael

Please can you upload a file that exhibits this regression, it would help us a lot.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Nice Paolo! What was your source layer like before you applied the Equation filter?

Playing with Equations by Andy and noise functions by Ben!

Thanks both!  :)

This is a stupid one

x = x*(1/(a*b))*noise(x,y)
y = y*(1/(a*b))*noise(x,y)

Basically A and B can be used to vary depth of this canvas/fiber-like thing

This is the final seamless texture, suitable for tiling or brushwork

Enjoy!  :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Look at you lot all showing off with your new betas!

Two points:

1. I just stumbled upon Export Persona - it's not an intuitive interface but it's a massive timesaver when you're dealing with product photos. Do you have plans to make improvements to increase the number of variable? To make exporting quick it would be good if it export a number you're constantly being told by OSX if you want to overwrite a file? e.g. SliceName_001 or as a quicker compromise have date and time variables, what about SliceName_DDMMYY_HHMMSS or even SlieName_UnixTime would be oK!

2. I forgot the second point I had.

post-36221-0-92317800-1478545294_thumb.jpg

Crash - Use Apply Image filter with layer selected, drag underneath layer into filter pane and turn on equations and select LAB color space... Bam!

I can confirm this behavior on my machines as well.  Apply Image is getting better with each beta though!  The current beta on my machine shows a preview of the apply image that appears like a halftone or checkerboard artifact is superimposed on the preview - this is when the destination is a mask on an adjustment layer.

kirk

Nice Paolo! What was your source layer like before you applied the Equation filter?

I'm sure it was a Grey 50%...

But today oddly I cannot replicate it...  :wacko:

I updated the equations giving A/B/C some sense...

x=(c/(a))*noise2(sin(a*(x+y)),b*y)
y=(c/(a))*noise4(b*x,sin(a*(y+x)))

Set Extend Mode to:

• Full for a solid background
  • Zero for alpha

C = Depth

A = Randomness of fibers (Tartan > A > Canvas)

B = Scale

32-Bit mode

Curves adjustment layer (or any) use the Gradient tool to make a grad filter (0 - 1) and… nothing. The layer's mask stays white.

Not even adding a mask works. Nesting all in a group, doing the holdout-layer dance and adding a mask there doesn't work either.

Conclusion, the gradient tool doesn't work in 32-Bit mode's masks. 

Workaround: Draw out a gradient on the canvas, convert that layer to a mask and use that.

Another one, 32-Bit again.

A clear blue area is shown as red in the Navigator. Additionally, when 'merge visible' and blur the new layer on top, I get a rather Tartan looking black image with red, green and blue patches shown intermittently. 

Attached, navigator and corresponding image portion.

Edit: Found the culprit. A 'Levels Adjustment' layer is wreaking havoc on areas it doesn't even affect (are masked out). I had to go back on it as the 16-Bit export made the sky pink.

post-33173-0-27734100-1478629164_thumb.png

post-33173-0-20364000-1478629174_thumb.png

Edited by Frank Jonen

This is my own thing, so I can give you the actual file where this happens. Any place where I can put a 2GB file?

Thanks (again) Frank,

Any chance you get put together a document to demo this? We are aware of a problem with all Gaussian samplers - which is fixed for next build, I'd just like to make sure this isn't something more serious..

Andy.

Hello,

simple question. I am opening files in Affinity Photo from Lightroom as PSDs.

We can now save them as PSD, that works great (no export necesseary etc.).

But Affinity Photo doesn't accept that as saved file. So when closing file, I'am getting prompt "File has not been saved yet". Althought File was saved. To PSD.

Maybe AP should accept saving to PSD?

• Staff

I found the problem. The exiftool file was quarantined by Safari and the Affinity Photo beta could not run it. To resolve the problem, I ran

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Photo\ Beta.app

in Terminal. This won't be necessary when downloading Affinity from the App Store.

Good catch, thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

With the EXIF loading issue out of the way, I've started playing around with the beta some more, especially the 32-bit color support. I found a couple of things that aren't working for me.

1. In the Develop Assistant, the RAW output format setting is not being persisted across restarts. If I select 32 bit, close the dialog and restart, the setting reverts to 16 bit.
  2. In the Color Profiles preferences, if I select a 32 bit color profile other than sRGB and restart, the selection reverts to sRGB.

With the EXIF loading issue out of the way, I've started playing around with the beta some more, especially the 32-bit color support. I found a couple of things that aren't working for me.

1. In the Develop Assistant, the RAW output format setting is not being persisted across restarts. If I select 32 bit, close the dialog and restart, the setting reverts to 16 bit.
  2. In the Color Profiles preferences, if I select a 32 bit color profile other than sRGB and restart, the selection reverts to sRGB.

I noticed this too, could it be related to the incomplete propagation of sticky settings maybe?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.