You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient following path // »Apply gradient along stroke«

Hey there!

Not sure if this may come in handy or much of use, but it would be a cool feature I haven’t seen in any other App so far (if there are any pleas tell me):

I was creating these sort of vines for an illustration in Designer and I tried several ways to create this »overlapping« effect, simulating depth.

The vines were created with a regular outline/stroke with some pressure simulation. I then started to destructively split the path into several segments and apply gradients on some parts and place other segments on top (see images, I think you see what I’m talking about).

Problem here is it needs further adjustments, cause every time the stroke width is slightly changing – that’s when I came up with the idea of a gradient that follows the form and curves of a stroke from start to end.

Not sure if something like this is even possible, but let me now what you think. :)

Also if anyone has a more convenient way for something this without necessarily cutting or expanding the stroke – I’m listening. ;)

Have a nice weekend

Dennis

post-5367-0-42830500-1478384486_thumb.png

post-5367-0-41545300-1478384502_thumb.png

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

Hey MikeW,

hmmm, can you give me an example? I know about Illustrators functions, but the specific option I was thinking about isn't there.

post-5367-0-02796500-1478545821_thumb.png

What I was thinking about looks more like this … I tried to »mock up« my idea, maybe this will clarify what I mean.

I broke the gradient down for easier explanation. Basically the position/percentage of one color on the gradient is adapted onto the length of the path, if that makes sense.

It’s not super accurate, but it would look similar to this.

post-5367-0-73621300-1478547990_thumb.png

Greetings

Dennis

Oooh wait, that’s exactly it! :o

Hm, yeah, I’d like to see that in Affinity Designer :D

What’s that nice function called in english? Apply vertical gradient to stroke or something?

Awesome, thanks Mike for pointing it out, apparently I was misled by the tool hint while testing. :)

Greetings

Dennis

• Staff

third option again please MikeW, the OCD in me can't cope with option 2 twice.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hey Patrick,

any idea if options like these will be implemented in the future?

Greetings

Dennis

No idea at all. I used to be a programmer in an earlier life, and this feature seems quite sophisticated to me...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon