You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I wasn't able to come up w. anything that does exactly what it appears you want.

It is easy to place an image into a square or rectangle as a child. It will then rotate, scale and transform conforming to the parent shape. However, I tried various ways to rotate and shear squares, and I could not get a perfect horizontal diamond. What I made were stacks of isometric perspective squares..

If I converted the shapes to curves, I could then turn them to diamonds. But then the image shape no longer conformed to the outline. By carefully manipulating the image bounding box, I was able to only approximate a fit w. an isometric deform. There was some cropping and scaling.

Here is an example.

post-34886-0-42018200-1478270827_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi the_wondering_ant,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's quite a few ways to go about this. You have to set up a grid to use as the base for the construction. If you enable Snap to Grid (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...) it will be easier to align everything.

I'm attaching a sample to help you get started. Excepting the lowest layer (the base), all the others are just copies of the second (counting from bottom). On the last two on the top i've attached embedded documents inside each rectangle (clipped) and transformed them to fit the grid. If you select the embedded document in the Layers panel then double click it on canvas, it will open in a new document tab making it easy to replace images. In this case i'm using the embedded document as independent documents (each one will open a different embedded document) but you can also consider to create a single document with an artboards for each rectangle. You can even take this further if you use symbols for each level of the construction so you can control the shadow and transparency of all rectangles adjusting one of the instances.

post-59-0-70976400-1478271562_thumb.png

Maybe this will get you started:

Cheers

P.

Whenever I try to scale down, When I use the handle at the corner, I get a smaller rotated  square. When I use a H or W transform, I get a squashed rectangle along the original vert/horiz angle. What am I missing?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Whenever I try to scale down, When I use the handle at the corner, I get a smaller rotated  square. When I use a H or W transform, I get a squashed rectangle along the original vert/horiz angle. What am I missing?

D'oh! Reset selection box. Forgot that widget.

Huion WH1409 tablet