You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The problem with the speed of the program

Hallo,

I observe in a few last versions that Affinity is working very slowly. This can be seen even by simple shapes, by basic action (for example by selecting and deselecting of any shape). Timeout can be more than 2-3 second. Upstairs in the window bar often appears that the program is not responding.
Previously, the program operated on the same computer quickly (using OS Windows 7, 64 bit).

• Staff

Hey Shalom3,

We haven't had any mass reports of lag for what you are describing. We have seen a few for drawing strokes with a pen and the app running up slow. Are you able to record a video of this behavior? A few of us have been unable to reproduce what you have described. 

Can you also provide the specs of your machine? It's curious that the recent builds seem to have introduced this issue for you. 

Thanks 

Confirm, perhaps not so dramatically but decrease in speed is felt.
So I have a question, 

I have plan to buy a new graphics card for Blender and Fusion 8 (now I have a budget GTX650), what is the best choice for Affinity?
Affinity Designer is supported by the GPU acceleraction (CUDA/OpenCL)? Or whether it does not matter?

Thanks

• Staff

I have plan to buy a new graphics card for Blender and Fusion 8 (now I have a budget GTX650), what is the best choice for Affinity?

You wouldn't need anything particularly amazing. The GPU is primarily used for rendering the tiles. I have a GTX 950 in this PC at work. Someone else has a GTX 960. They get the job done and neither of them will break the bank  :P It depends what your budget is and what else you would want from a new card. 

I  am facing the same speed problem; since the beginning, several weeks ago, and now I appreciate that the speed is now rather slow, despite I am still working on small trial examples.

My lap-top computer is an HP workstation EliteBook 8770w; I come from a long experience on CAD 3D with Solid Edge that is really very fast on opening, closing and file export (with AD Window beta 29 it takes over 4 minutes to save a simple PNG vector file. 

My worry is about the speed when the projects will be much bigger.

Yes, but the problem is that when AD is in operation (CPU is used either at 100% or 1%) the PC slow down or even remains stuck for several minutes; when I switch off AD everything runs perfectly well as usual. I have seen that the memory used by Designer.exe ranges from about 350,000 to 2.960,000 KB.

As an example, a few minutes ago I have tried to export a PNG vector file for a rather simple project, but after waiting for over half an hour I have been forced to terminate AD using Windows Task Manager and now every thing runs normal.

I cannot understand why Solid Edge for CAD 3D, that is software that engages a lot of memory, is very fast while AD is not.

Could spread it over multiple cores utilizing less than 100% in total.

Nothing I use maxes out this lowly computer with two cores. RAM usage is generally moderate--unless I am exporting a massive file to PDF. Even then, the CPU isn't quite maxed out and I am able to do other tasks as I use those other applications. RAM usage steadily climbs but never runs out (thinking XDP here with exporting a > than 150" banner at 150 dpi, which is my worse-case scenario.

Daniele, your file took a few seconds to export at 300 dpi as a PDF/X-4 file. It exported the file as a PNG image, the full page, in 5 seconds or so. My CPU spiked at 95% for 2 seconds or so with the PDF, about the same with the PNG. RAM usage hardly blipped. With the file loaded, AD was using about 245 megs of RAM and I didn't really catch much a rise.

Mike

I have tried again, but the problem is still there; when I save the file as xxxxx.afdesign it is very fast, but at any time I try to save/export in other ways (PNG, JPEG, etc.) the computer start, but never stop and the stuck; there is no way I can use it at all; everytime I am forced to terminate AD using Windows Task Manager and then restart the whole computer.

When I work with AD to make any design every thing is fine; the same is with other software as Solid Edge.

Why only with AD and only when I save the file?

Daniele,

Where are you exporting the file to? I mean, is it a folder that is sync'd with any type of off-computer storage like dropbox or another on-line storage? If so, try exporting to a non-sync'd folder.

If that isn't the case, I would try turning off any anti-virus software and testing an export to a non-sync'd folder. If that makes you uncomfortable, then disconnect from the Internet while testing. Anti-virus applications can aggressively scan new files, even while attempting a save/export, though with your sample file I cannot imagine that the export routine should take so long as to trip up that scan process.

Mike

Thanks so much for your suggestions; I have totally removed, but there is not any improvement.

It is strange that it happens only with AD windows beta 29; until about 10 days it was running perfectly well.

My computer is a lap-top HP workstation, 64 bit with Windows-7, that I use normally for CAD 3D Solid Edge; it is supposed to be a very powerful one.

This is what I do all the times to check what happens.

During the normal use of AD Designer.exe is basically the only one with about 300,000 KB (beside Chrome.exe 32) and it uses only 1 or 2% of the CPU.

When I save the Afdesign files, it takes about 1 second; only when I try to save either in PNG or JPEG format that the computer becomes fully stuck (I cannot use it at all); keeping previosly open the Window Task Manager I can see that Designer.exe ranges around 3,000,000 KB and the CPU fluctuate between 25 to 50% , but it seems in a endless loop situation.

When I just went to export your document, it defaulted to a size of 38,284 wide by 40,890 high. You get a warning saying this is bigger than the allowable size for PNG.

Your document is 3.241metres by 3.462metres at 300DPI. So I'm not surprised it's slow! It will succeed, but it will take some time. Try creating a smaller document, resizing your existing document, or exporting at a smaller size.

When I just went to export your document, it defaulted to a size of 38,284 wide by 40,890 high. You get a warning saying this is bigger than the allowable size for PNG.

Your document is 3.241metres by 3.462metres at 300DPI. So I'm not surprised it's slow! It will succeed, but it will take some time. Try creating a smaller document, resizing your existing document, or exporting at a smaller size.

my iMac (not bootcamp but macOS itself) exported it without skipping a beat of the playing spotify song and while texting and browsing at the same time in less than 5min.

the resulting file crashes both recent beta versions though LOL

my iMac (not bootcamp but macOS itself) exported it without skipping a beat of the playing spotify song and while texting and browsing at the same time in less than 5min.

the resulting file crashes both recent beta versions though LOL

I have a feeling it doesn't actually export the image. It looks like it's done it (instantly), but it shouldn't be instant, and you should see a progress bar. I think it's writing a corrupt image (we should definitely fix this).

I have a feeling it doesn't actually export the image. It looks like it's done it (instantly), but it shouldn't be instant, and you should see a progress bar. I think it's writing a corrupt image (we should definitely fix this).

Yeah could definitely be the case cause preview did not open the file either, the file was about 150mb in size and had a black small preview icon on my desktop. I also did not get a warning that the size extends the PNG standard.

Cheers

The file.afdesign is not so large,(only 1,437 KB).

When I try to exort PNG file I use the default settings, while with JPEG file I select the "low quality" level; the result is the same: the computer is stuck for a long time.

Only once I have waited almost one hour to get the JPEG file saved.

The additional problem is that when the PC ir running trying to export it is impossible to stop the process; the button CANCEL becomes inactive and I am forced to use the Window Task Manager.

I add 4 screen-shots hoping to give a better view.

post-37112-0-66835300-1478388688_thumb.jpg

post-37112-0-60597100-1478388691_thumb.jpg

post-37112-0-37793100-1478388694_thumb.jpg

post-37112-0-53044900-1478388696_thumb.jpg

When I try to exort PNG file I use the default settings, while with JPEG file I select the "low quality" level; the result is the same: the computer is stuck for a long time.

The additional problem is that when the PC ir running trying to export it is impossible to stop the process; the button CANCEL becomes inactive and I am forced to use the Window Task Manager.

I add 4 screen-shots hoping to give a better view.

Uhmmm... You are exporting a (more than) 36000px by 37000px file as PNG or JPG. PNG output in Designer is limited to 32768px in both height and width, and will automatically scale the image down, btw.

With a large bitmap image such as yours things will naturally slow down to a crawl. PNG and JPG compression algorithms are slow to compress, and with a large file like this one it is going to take some time.

How much RAM does your machine have? At least 32GB would be required to work with bitmaps like that in my experience, I would say. If you have less RAM, your machine will start relying on virtual memory (harddrive) which will really cause a slow down.

EDIT Tried this is an alternative application, and I have 48GB RAM installed. i7 920@3.6ghz. Saving a 33200x25000 bitmap takes ~4 minutes and 10 seconds for me. But that is PURE bitmap - not a vector graphic that must be converted to bitmap, which will eat way more time.

Are you certain that you need that high resolution? How is the image going to be used? For print?

It doesn't matter what the size of the Affinity file is, as it's a vector document. And as it's a vector document you don't need it to be over 3 metres wide. It doesn't matter what the quality is on export, you're still trying to export a *massive* image.

I have the following devices:

- computer HP EliteBook 8770w

- screen card NVIDIA Quadro K3000M resolution 1600 x 900

- hard disk 441,67 GB (96,96 GB free)

I have tried now with exactly half the pixel sizes shown by default (i.e. 18451x18940 instead of 36.903x37.880) and at last IT WORKS.

I have been crazy for about 2 weeks while it was so easy.

Thank you really so much for the very useful answer.

AD should give a warning during the export session to avoid this logic inconvenience that any user can get.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.