You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best way to create a shape in a shape?!?

Hi Folks, 

I have created a shape (Basically a large triangle) and I need to make it look more like a mountain top so I want to create sort of a snowy peak to the top. I have tried to create this using two smaller inverted triangles but I need to remove the baseline. How would I go about ding this or does anyone have a suggestion of another way I could create this? Me being new and all. I have attached a screen shot to hopefully help explain what I am after.

Thanks folks

Mark

post-16574-0-33376500-1478205207_thumb.png

Guess it depends on what you want to accomplish. But I would join the two little triangles, add a couple of mid-points and drag those added points higher than the apex of the main shape, then just clip the two lieel upside down triangles into the main shape.

post-255-0-62036300-1478207092_thumb.png

I messed around a little with boolean additions/subtractions, etc. Tried breaking curves, and joining the pieces to others. What was simpler was laying out some guidelines. Didn't bother making them perfectly spaced, just eye-balled it. W. snapping on,used the pen tool set to polygon mode. Drew a triangle. Drew the "snow" over it. Used a trapeziod shape at the bottom. Pretty easy and quick. Laying the guides more precisely would not be hard.

post-34886-0-32075900-1478208015_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

They don't need to be literally midpoints, Mark. In fact, you don't need any extra points at all: if you like, you can just grab the top of the 'two triangles' shape and drag it upwards to create a big curve that encloses the peak of the mountain.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just use the node editing tool and double-click on an outline, then move the point(s).

If you single-click where there isn't already a node, a new node will be created.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for the late reply but Ive been away.

Thanks for the suggestions but I am still have some trouble. I created the two smaller triangles using the triangle shape tool. When I select the node tool it doesn't give me an option to play around with the triangle shapes. There is no option to grab the individual nodes. Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for the late reply but Ive been away.

Thanks for the suggestions but I am still have some trouble. I created the two smaller triangles using the triangle shape tool. When I select the node tool it doesn't give me an option to play around with the triangle shapes. There is no option to grab the individual nodes. Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

Cheers

Mark

When you create the triangle shape, it is an object with a blue bounding box. It has no nodes (yet). With it selected, click the Convert to Curves button up above in the tool bar. Converting it gives it nodes so you can use the suggestions in the posts above this one.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

When you create the triangle shape, it is an object with a blue bounding box. It has no nodes (yet). With it selected, click the Convert to Curves button up above in the tool bar. Converting it gives it nodes so you can use the suggestions in the posts above this one.

Thanks for that, I had just figured that bit out.

You must have been trying to adjust the two individual triangles, Mark. Mike and I had both suggested joining them first: this automatically gives you a 'Curve' object, so there's no need for a separate conversion step.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi Alfred, 

I thought I had solved this but it appears that I haven't. So this is where I am at with it.

1> Created two separate inverted triangle shapes.

2> Selected both and used the "add" tool in the top tool bar to add them together.

3> The option to "covert to curves is greyed out" so I am not able to do that.

4> When I select the node tool and try to grab the centre (Which is a blue square) it just moves one portion of one of the triangles.

I've attached two images to try and show what I mean. Every day is a learning day  :blink:

Mark

post-16574-0-85747500-1479987468_thumb.png

post-16574-0-61768200-1479987476_thumb.png

OK, I see what the problem is! Your two triangles are meeting at a vertex, so when you add them you get a polycurve (a 'Curves' object) instead of a single closed curve. Try overlapping them slightly before using the 'Add' command.

Alfred spacer.png