You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys!

I am very new to graphic design so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently purchased Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for my Mac. I am trying to find the best solution to being able to draw basic sketches and diagrams. I don't need to be able to draw anything with great detail or very artistic.

I have an iPad 4th generation (so not a Pro) and I am wondering if there is an app I get use to be able to draw on my iPad to interact with Affinity Photo or Designer. Another option I have been exploring is buying a Wacom.

What advice can you give me as to whether I would be better off using my iPad with a specific stylus or purchasing a Wacom. What are my options? Thank you!

Shortly after getting AD a few months ago, I bought a Huion graphics tablet. Its large, larger than I need, wireless, comes w. pen. It has fine response, and does fine detail. I've been quite happy w. it. Quite a bit less expensive than a comparable sized Wacom.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hey matthewemazzone,
Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

You are unable to use your iPad as a tablet but we will eventually get around to releasing dedicated iPad versions of Affinity so I would steer you towards a Wacom tablet.

We have a some in the office (Intuos 3 and Bamboo) and the Intuos 3 is solid albeit not the prettiest tablet, however I believe the ones we have are getting on a bit now. They range from Pen Computers to Pen Displays to standard Pen Tablets so check out the standard Pen Tablets for the entry level hardware. 

There are quite a few users on here who use tablets professionally and probably know a lot more than I do so hopefully someone can offer you some additional advice.

I hope this helps. 

Hey guys!

I am very new to graphic design so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently purchased Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for my Mac. I am trying to find the best solution to being able to draw basic sketches and diagrams. I don't need to be able to draw anything with great detail or very artistic.

I have an iPad 4th generation (so not a Pro) and I am wondering if there is an app I get use to be able to draw on my iPad to interact with Affinity Photo or Designer. Another option I have been exploring is buying a Wacom.

What advice can you give me as to whether I would be better off using my iPad with a specific stylus or purchasing a Wacom. What are my options? Thank you!

For iPad apps, look up Astropad or Duet Display. They work best with the Apple Pencil but you can still use a passive (cheap) stylus or your finger to draw on the iPad inside of the Affinity apps.

Hey guys!

I've tried drawing and vector apps on both, and from my experience, the old Wacom Bamboo I had in 2010 was way better than any iPad due to precision and pressure sensitivity.

It should be stressed that the cheapest Wacom now is far worse than the ones back in the "Bamboo" era, so you might look for a second hand Intuos of some size.

Guys thanks so much for all the help! I already have the app Duet so I am going to see if that works for me. I am leaning towards buying a Huion since they are cheap and basic which is all I need. I will only use this now and then so I just want a cheap option. Thanks again everyone much appreciated