You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When is Affinity Designer going to get ruler origin adjustments?

I'm trying desperately to abandon using Adobe apps for Affinity versions, but I cannot believe that an application as powerful as designer does not support adjustment of the ruler origin. This is the main thing holding me back from switching to it full time as I simply cannot work without this feature. It seems amazing to me that this has not been implemented as it is such a fundamental capability.

Maybe it is there but hidden from view, I have tried to find a solution but none appears to me.

It’s not there yet but will come eventually. See, the thing is that everybody can’t believe that “their” much needed and oft-used feature isn’t implemented yet – but that’s a thousand different “most important” features and the developers can’t do everything at once. But I, on the other hand, can’t believe that this is a feature that would hold anyone back from abandoning Adobe; in the meantime you could use guides as “waypoints” to remember where your zero point and other relevant points are on the rulers.

• 1 month later...

I think the guides system in general could do with some extra features:

• Setting of the origin (as mentioned above)
  • Ability to click on a guide and edit its coordinates in the context toolbar
  • 'Mirroring' of guides on a page - most designs I make require matching guides left-right or top-bottom. Right now I have to jump through hoops:
    1. Drag from the ruler to add a guide
    2. Go to Guides Manager and set the exact position I wanted (making a note)
    3. Work out the width of the document
    4. Deduct the position of the first guide from the width
    5. Add a new guide and type in the calculated figure in Guides Manager
  • Option to run guides across all artboards
  • Ability to 'Lock Guides' in position

I quite like Illustrator's use of a 'guide layer' that can be locked/unlocked/hidden from the layers panel. This would accomplish some of the above.

• 'Mirroring' of guides on a page - most designs I make require matching guides left-right or top-bottom. Right now I have to jump through hoops:
    1. Drag from the ruler to add a guide
    2. Go to Guides Manager and set the exact position I wanted (making a note)
    3. Work out the width of the document
    4. Deduct the position of the first guide from the width
    5. Add a new guide and type in the calculated figure in Guides Manager

There are fewer hoops to jump through if you skip step three & set the Guide Manager to display percent after creating the first guide. For the second guide, enter "100-" & whatever percent the first guide shows (100 minus xx).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7