You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers from Layer FX

Easy work-around: duplicate the layer, and apply the effect to the duplicate. Then change the Fill Opacity to 0%. Duplicate that object and apply other effects.

This allows for a layered layer FX approach.

Now, if only there'd be an option to instance the original layer: the changes would cascade to the instances.

Easy work-around: duplicate the layer, and apply the effect to the duplicate. Then change the Fill Opacity to 0%. Duplicate that object and apply other effects.

This allows for a layered layer FX approach.

Now, if only there'd be an option to instance the original layer: the changes would cascade to the instances.

There is: Symbols!

But you need AD

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Very neat. Clever.

Sadly it doesn't achieve quite what I wanted. Imagine I have an emboss which I would like to selectively erase without in any way changing the parent. I cannot do this to a layer effect because I can only erase or mask the parent. Using your technique my emboss is still a layer effect attached to a new invisible 0% opacity parent. I still can't selectively erase because the same problem exists.

However you set me on absolutely the right route that I was looking for!

I realised that if I add add one more step and rasterise Parent2 I am left with a normal layer containing just the emboss which can then be manipulated and masked in any way I want. I could take it a step further and by setting the shadow and highlight controls alternatively to zero produce separate highlight and shadow layers.

Perfect for a simple macro I think ...........

Thanks Herbert.