You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey all,

Firstly I'm loving the Workbook - currently making my way through to familiarise myself with AD. One thing I've noticed and is a little annoying if I want to play with some of the files is that some of the downloadable resources are 'locked'.

I can't see any way to unlock the document, or for that matter lock one. Is this intended, or am I simply missing a glaringly obvious 'protect document' option somewhere?

• Staff

Hi blackboxideas,

Welcome to the forums.

The Layers may be locked, just click on lock icon on that layer and it will disappear, if you click the lock icon on the Layers tab at the top, with a layer selected it will lock the layer again. Let me know if you're having trouble with a particular one.

If you're referring to the samples on the Welcome screen, then yes these are locked to protect them from being edited and used.

Hey Lee D, thanks!

I was referring to some of the downloadable content from the Workbook i.e. 'tix1_ui_final'. The whole document is locked, I'm assuming to prevent these being used outside of the tutorials.

My question is really; is that the intended purpose, and is it possible for us to lock documents in the same way as I can't see any UI command to do so.

• Staff

The files are locked before on purpose, the apps don't have an option to do this, it's done by our devs. You can lock the files in mac OS, this makes them read only. If you're sending the design, you can always send it as a flattened image, which would prevent anyone editing it.

• 6 months later...

Hi G. Marinoni & welcome to the forums!

Are you using the Mac or Windows version of Affinity Designer (or Affinity Photo)? Where are you saving the file, like to a folder in your user's home folder on a Mac or to some other location?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I use Windows, in my office.

By location, I meant where on some hard drive are these documents being stored.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

They are stored in the hard drive, and they are shared with my colleague by C:, users, public, public documents.

My colleague can do the same thing, sharing the files with me, but  their files are without lock...

Is it possible your colleague opened the saved version of these shared files & has not yet closed them?

Affinity Photo