You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5.0 - Beta 9)

32-Bit Preview

Something I just noticed after re-working a bunch of textures today. Could you add a button to the dialogue, maybe next to the Display Transform area "Bake to Layer" (or better name) that takes the settings I have in the viewer and writes them to a layer?

Purpose: When converting to 16-Bit it takes the 1.0 linear gamma and not what I have viewed it as.

Currently I'm adding a Levels layer and for say, Gamma 2.4 out, I'm doing the regular 1.0/2.4 which works well enough. 

Reason why a button would help: Long hours fatigue. Reminder that a viewer is just a viewer is just a viewer ;). And lastly to have a layer that can be passed around with the file to other artists working on the same shot.  

It would also a nice to have way of toggling back between a custom setting and default. Especially when using ICC Display Transform (which is really cool).

Oh and BTW, can we have the moving of items via the arrow keys back when the hand tool is active? That was quite a helpful function to have. Now it's gone.

• Staff

Which one is the correct notation among these?

1. y = 4x
  2. y = 4*x

Because the result is different

As Rui says, the equations need to use explicit operators.  Our parser would interpret 4x as a unit type of x.  Anything following a literal is determined to be a unit type (mm, cm, pt, etc).  The first would result in a parsing error of "Unknown unit type".

It could be done that we assume a multiply operator, but having the unit types add to the complexity - I would have to decide whether the following string is a constant or a unit type.  For now I'd rather keep it that you need to use explicit operators.

On day we will make an input panel that has a pop-out expression builder, so a lot of the need for insider knowledge will go away.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Incidentally, I've just added the following functions

noise(n)      

noise2(n)     

noise3(n)     

noise4(n)     

noise5(n)

noise(x,y)      

noise2(x,y)     

noise3(x,y)     

noise4(x,y)     

noise5(x,y)

These are 1D and 2D noise generators that seed from the input value(s).  They are ordered in terms of processing complexity. noise creates non-interpolated noise (truncating the input seed to integer). noise2 does a linear/bilinear interpolation. noise3 does a linear/bilinear interpolation with s-curve smoothing. noise4 does linear/bilinear with sin smoothing. noise5 does cubic/bicubic interpolation.

Noise is returned in the -1 to +1 range.  The inputs can be any real value.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

y=4x does nothing.

The 4x notation if for humans only. Computers need explicit operators.

Well... Not true...

equation.png

Depends on the parser...   ;)

It could be done that we assume a multiply operator, but having the unit types add to the complexity - I would have to decide whether the following string is a constant or a unit type.  For now I'd rather keep it that you need to use explicit operators.

On day we will make an input panel that has a pop-out expression builder, so a lot of the need for insider knowledge will go away.

Thank you Ben, it makes sense, definitely!

I was only trying to figure out how it works... Instinctively I tend to write implicit   :)

An expression builder would be very welcome in the future.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

That parser only works with pure numerical values, without units. If it worked with units it would be much more complex, like Ben said.

Oh, and... Ben, the "geek developer" in me thanks for all the additional functions that are being added :)

• Staff

...there's more coming.  If you have ideas, let me know.

I have interpolators, which I might expose too.  We have a 1D lerp, but internally I have 1D and 2D lerp, curve, sin and cubic.  Just adding oscillators (essentially, like the noise generators, but the value oscillates uniformly between -1 and +1).

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

I think Andy might be working on that.... not sure when for though.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Some questions about focus merge:

1) Is there a recommended method for retouching the merge result, i.e. cloning in from one of the source images?

2) Related to above, the palette showing all the source images disappears as soon as I select a tool (even just the zoom). Not sure what to with that palette.

3) Also related, it would be nice to have all the source images available as layers (at least optionally); it would solve question 1 I guess.

4) Are there plans to add configurability to the merge process? It would be nice to be able to tune the process, depending what parameters the algorithm depends on. Though I will say that my first result playing with this is relatively free of artifacts.

Thanks

Peter

On 04/11/2016 at 6:58 PM, MBd said:

Yeah like no one can even tell how to use apply image https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27366-how-to-apply-image/&p=132734

...or implement to move curve points with arrow key e.g. LOL

... Or implement to modify curve points numerically using keyboard e.g. LOL :-)

I'm sure Affinity developers team is doing great and that geeky math funcions panel is just a transitory solution and will be integrated by a friendly dropdown boxes panel (PS docet).

Regards

Alessandro

• Staff

Some questions about focus merge:

1) Is there a recommended method for retouching the merge result, i.e. cloning in from one of the source images?

2) Related to above, the palette showing all the source images disappears as soon as I select a tool (even just the zoom). Not sure what to with that palette.

3) Also related, it would be nice to have all the source images available as layers (at least optionally); it would solve question 1 I guess.

4) Are there plans to add configurability to the merge process? It would be nice to be able to tune the process, depending what parameters the algorithm depends on. Though I will say that my first result playing with this is relatively free of artifacts.

Thanks

Peter

1) Use either the clone brush or the healing brush. The clone brush will be automatically selected when the merge finishes. Just choose one of the source images listed in the sources panel and brush on the merge result layer.

2) The sources panel should reappear again when you select either the clone brush or healing brush. Alternatively you can make it stay visible via the View->Studio->Sources menu option. 

3) That could be a lot of layers and a very large document file.

4) There are no plans to add configurability for this version at least, but we are always looking to improve things, so let us know if you find it does a poor job for a particular image set.

Cheers

Justin

Still no working batch conversion for me with beta 9.  Is anyone able to save a batch of images as for example native Affinity Photo files?  It goes through the motions but creates no files.  I could swear this worked on a much earlier Beta for me.  This on 2013 new 6 core Mac Pro running macOS 10.12.2 (16C32f).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.