You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I set font size in px?

• Staff

Hi Seabirdr,

Welcome to the forum!

You can indeed set font size using pixels. To do this you need to go to Edit > Preferences > User Interface and then untick 'Show Text in points'. Once you've done that you then need to ensure your document units are set to pixels (I assume they are, if not go to File > Document Setup and change them to pixels). Once these have been done you should find that the font size will match whatever your Document units are set to.

• Staff

seabirdr,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. :)

You can set text in "document units"

Change the option Edit > Preferences > User Interface > "Show text in points"

Also I deleted your 'accidental' account (with the wrong email address) and renamed this one so it does not show your email address. Your Display name is now "seabirdr", but your login name (seabirdr@?????.com) is the same as your email address. Would you like me to change the login name to be the same as the display name?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This entire use of pixel units makes no sense to me. AD is a vector graphic design software program. There is no concept of a pixel in a vector graphic. Strictly speaking there are no points, either. There is not even a size in a vector graphic. There are just some abstract relative units; relative to the overall graphic, not to anything in the physical world.

Only when a vector graphic is being rendered, whether to a bitmap image, or a vinyl cut, or whatever else, do physical units enter the equation. But they are different for different renders.

Sean P and Patrick Connor, thank you very much for your fast & detailed explaination that solved my problem. AD provides very good experience for UI desingers comparing to Adobe Illustrator. I can't wait to use it in my actual project to check its capability.

I watched the Mac AD's responsive design introduction video and was totally shocked. Look forward to that on Windows.

This entire use of pixel units makes no sense to me. AD is a vector graphic design software program. There is no concept of a pixel in a vector graphic. Strictly speaking there are no points, either. There is not even a size in a vector graphic. There are just some abstract relative units; relative to the overall graphic, not to anything in the physical world.

Only when a vector graphic is being rendered, whether to a bitmap image, or a vinyl cut, or whatever else, do physical units enter the equation. But they are different for different renders.

Designer is a hybrid app which lets you mix vector and raster effects. Also, when designing for a pixel-based medium it is often useful to be able to see and think in pixels directly, even if you are using vectors to produce them. For example, if you have to draw an icon which is 32x32 pixels, if you don't pay attention to how your lines fall on the pixel boundaries you may find what you intended as a solid black 1-pixel line becomes a grey 2-pixel line.

• Staff

It would be nice if we could simply right-mouse click either the ruler, or an input field, and change the unit on the fly.

I'm sure we had this logged as an improvement but I can't find it  :angry: It is something I am so familiar with doing in other apps. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.