The launch-time of AD needs more time than Illustrator

• Staff

Hey manroe,

I've just been doing some tests, these are my results from a cold start:

- AD on Windows takes 9 seconds

- AD on Mac takes 2-3 seconds

- Illustrator on Windows takes 11 seconds

- Illustrator on the Mac takes 8 seconds

So my end we are a bit quicker than Illustrator. I've read that quite a few people are experiencing slow load times for Windows Designer. Some in the region of 20-30 seconds when using lower end hardware. 

What kind of results are you seeing? What spec is your machine? I might add I have it installed on an SSD.

• Staff

Could this be enhanced ?

Perhaps, but in comparison to others who are reporting times of up to a minute, 12 seconds is not so long. If we can improve matters for them yours may reduce.

Personally I don't think that start-up time is the best way to judge software that's so good you don't want to stop using it ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I've just done some analysis on our startup time, and I can see some areas which could be improved. I might not have time to fix them before release, but I will do it at some point. In theory it should make it over twice as fast to start up...

Excellent, Mark. Thank you.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

There is something strange. On my machine (Dell m3800 with System SSD and additional EVO 850 SSD, Win 10) it takes 58secs(!) to start. I also was the one with the slow persona panel update which is fixed now and works as smooth as the rest of the application. But the general loading time of the app is much too slow... I install all the programms on the second ssd. Can this be an issue? Thanks...

• Staff

Hey Marf, as Mark said he will be looking into reducing the startup time. 58 seconds is certainly excessive, especially on an SSD. I did some tests at home and at work and I found that on average, the app opens in 8 seconds on an SSD and a standard HDD took me around 14 seconds. Does it take 58 seconds every single time or just from the first load after a fresh boot?

Hey, interesting news. I used the "Process Monitor" from Sysinternals to see what Affinity is doing while starting on my ssd. And the most time it reads repeatingly a custom display calibration file in "C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\color" called "CalibratedDisplayProfile-4.icc". It is a custom created profile with the windows system color calibration for my laptop lcd...

I just deleted this (and the other never used custom profiles) manually.

And, belive it or not: Affinity starts in 10 secs, hurray

Than I calibrated the display again what results in a new calibration file. But now it doesn't affect the loading time.

Perhaps it's a hint for the developers to handle this potential issue...

Thanks

And, belive it or not: Affinity starts in 10 secs, hurray

That was a good find.

After reading your post, I decided to take a look at the Colour Management via Advanced Display Settings on Windows 10 and under Devices tab, I ticked 'Use my settings for this device' box and afterward, Affinity started in just 10 seconds.

That was a good find.

After reading your post, I decided to take a look at the Colour Management via Advanced Display Settings on Windows 10 and under Devices tab, I ticked 'Use my settings for this device' box and afterward, Affinity started in just 10 seconds.

Thanks for the tip. It wasn't quite as little as ten seconds here, but it was very much faster than it had been.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I believe it might be due to the number of fonts you have in your system. AD and most programs use the systems font folder and not sure if Adobe fixed their software but Illustrator used to have it's own fonts folder. Using the systems font folder is the best option so a cold start of the program would be longer, this is true with any of the applications I use that use standard system setup and sequential starts should be much faster since that would be cached already.

The Techies at Serif maybe able to yay or nay that.

I believe it might be due to the number of fonts you have in your system.

I only have a few hundred fonts installed here, so it seems unlikely that their presence would cause such long delays. In any case, I can't imagine one's colour management settings affecting the time taken to populate the font cache.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

System specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Xeon E5 v2 @ 2.10GHz 34 °C
Ivy Bridge-EP/EX 22nm Technology
Intel Xeon E5 v2 @ 2.10GHz 35 °C
Ivy Bridge-EP/EX 22nm Technology

RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z9PA-D8 Series (Socket-R 2011) 42 °C

Graphics
ASUS PB238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (NVIDIA) 38 °C
ASPEED Technology Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (ASUStek Computer Inc)
ForceWare version: 369.26
SLI Disabled

Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 34 °C
2794GB Hitachi HGST HDN724030ALE640 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C

Results:

Photo (1.5.0.38)

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo Public Beta\Photo.exe - 3 executions
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer\Designer.exe - 3 executions
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe - 3 executions
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe - 3 executions
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe - 2 executions

Photo (1.5.0.39)
C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo Public Beta\Photo.exe - 3 executions

Affinity programs run way slower than Adobe.
That said, I personally don't mind particularly about start-up time.
Should I choose, I'd definitely improve the overall performance (which I know is already planned), as that affects my actual work more than start-up.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.