Paul Ingraham

jagged PNG-8 exports

Affinity Designer 1.5.1, App Store version. All my PNG-8 exports seem to lack anti-aliasing. For instance, a simple circle is jagged.

post-18814-0-86951600-1477956625_thumb.png

This bug was erratic when I was first attempting to export some simple icons as PNG-8.  Some exports were fine, others were not. I assumed it had something to do with my custom settings, so I started trying to use the PNG-8 preset. From that point forward, every exported PNG-8 was jagged.  (PNG-24 was fine.)

I started messing around with every variable I could think of, but nothing helped.

I restarted the app, and then the Mac, but I was still unable to export a healthy PNG-8.

I copied the vectors into a fresh file, but was still unable to export a healthy PNG-8.

I created a blank file with a single circle shape and tried to export that. Still jagged.  That test file is attached.

jagged png-8 export.afdesign

Bug easily reproduced on another Mac. Fugly PNG 8 export achieved in seconds. I’m starting to feel surprised that I ever got a GOOD PNG-8 export! But I certainly did originally.

Details: when I wrote my original report I was using a MacBook Pro on the road.  I’ve returned to my office and just reproduced the bug easily on my iMac (AD 1.5.1 running on macOS 10.11.6, Retina 5K late 2014).  I used just about the most basic steps possible from launch to export (create a doc > draw a circle > export persona > create slice from layer > select export present for PNG 8 > export all slices).

Hi Paul

I've tried the file you posted. All you are seeing his is the smooth vector shape becoming pixellated because it is rasterised. As the circle is quite small the pixellation will be more noticeable. You can see this is you switch to pixel view mode in Designer, this gives you an idea of what objects will look like when output to a raster format. PNG-24 give a slightly smoother result as it can also use transparency to help feather the edges. PNG-8 does not support the gradual trasnaprency, so it can only have the harder edges

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris,

Howcome that Photoshop can do this perfectly.

When exporting PNG in Photoshop, with 8-bit, i get perfect results (see attached images).

Exporting PNG-24 (for web at least) is just no option due to the factor 2-5 increase in file size.

The export from Affinity (with PNG-8) has major jagged edges. (see attached images).

When exporting from Affinity in PNG-24 the result looks the same as the PNG-8 export from Photoshop, but is more than 3 times the size (455 kb vs. 1.4 mb)

I'm almost ready to jump ship to Affinity, but this is a deal-breaker because we build websites and therefor need PNG-8 with optimal quality.

BTW. i'm currently on the latest Trial version on a Windows PC (so this bug is not only related to the Mac version).

1st Image = PNG-8 from Photoshop (455 kb)
2nd Image = PNG-8 from Affinity (487 kb)
3rd Image = PNG-24 from Affinity (1.4 Mb)

Bob-Loohuis@2x_xs.png

Bob-Loohuis_8@2x.png

Bob-Loohuis@2x.png

It's almost a whole year later and i have searched the internet and forums to check if this PNG-8 problem has been fixed, but i can't find anything?

Is it still not possible to export to a high-quality, smooth edged PNG-8 file (with transparency)?
I am ready to switch to Affinity, but as a webdesigner it is crucial that PNG files both look professional and have the smallest possible filesize.
It's no option to export to PNG-24 and then converting and compressing them in other application or online website to PNG-8 with the proper (smaller) file-size, this would take way too much time and efficiency out of the workflow of a webdesigner.

Hope someone can answer this, or has found a (simple) work-around.

Perhaps you could show us your Export dialog settings? (Also, it can often help if you start your own thread rather than piggybacking on someone else's, especially when you're not talking about exactly the same problem.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Hi Walt,

I don't have the trial version anymore so i cannot exactly replicate/screenshot the export dialog from the past. But with 15 years of experience i can tell you i've tried all settings and searched (almost) the entire internet for clues, settings, options, plugins, from all over the world. I did not find any, but off course i hope you can help me. The last test i did today came from a friend who has Affinity. See the export settings in the attached image.

I also have a comparison of 5 different types i used. With "Color Quantizer" being the best compressor, without losing quality around the edges, but some noticeable color compression.
Affinity either has the largest file size (like 3-5 times as big) OR has by far the worst (and unusable) quality. (see attachment on how bad the edges are, hard, no soft/smoothing and also really bad color compression, far worse than the Color Quantizer we tried)

BTW. The problem in this thread van Paul Ingraham is exactly the problem that i have, so i chose to add to this thread, instead of creating a duplicate one. In my opinion, this is not 'piggybacking', simply keeping exact the same problems combined in one thread. Seeing that even combined problems don't deliver activity in almost a year, i guess that 2 separate threads would not change this. Moreover, if we can fix this problem (for me), it will also be a fix for Paul - automatically, rather than that he has to search (again) and find the problem (he posted himself) in some one else's thread.

affinity-png-8-trans-problem.JPG

affinity-png-export-settings.png

I would start by suggesting you try using the preset named png-24 rather than the one named png-8. It is important to note that this does not mean you will be exporting in the format you might know as png-24. It is simply a name for a collection of export options, which can be seen in the More... dialog. If you have an 8-bit image it will give you an output file in png-8 format, as png-8 does, but without the palletization and dithering used in the png-8 presets.

By the way, you are not, as far as I can see, describing the same problem as started this thread as that one was answered: it was simply the effect of rasterizing a vector image. So unless you're dealing with a vector image, you have a different problem than the one this thread was about.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the tip, i will try to test and look there.

BTW. I have the exact same problem with vector files and exporting them to PNG (8), so i think it's the same problem » the export options and results are not good and jagged (and that's what eventually counts), regardless of the type of content.

We did try the "More..." dialog, and started with the PNG-24 preset, then altered/tried palletization, but the PNG files that were exported are still either:

1. Way too large - around 1.4mb for an image that can be 400kb, OR
  2. Still have the hard edges, exactly as shown in the preview above (Affinity 8-bit) - but with a bit better colors, but still the largest filesize.

We practically tried everything. I hope i just have missed the exact right combination, or some setting in some other menu.
But i must say i think that if they had this (great) feature of producing (far) better 8-bit PNG's, than this would be already the default setting.

@walt.farrellDo you have any more or more detailed tips to follow up?

bob-test4_24b256p.png

affinity-png24-export-settings.png