urbanistica

Objects Pasted From Designer to Photo Not Respecting Scale

Having just upgraded to Designer 1.5.1, and using Photo 1.4.3, as soon as I did, copy and paste no longer worked as expected. Previously, if I had two identically-sized images, copying a brush object from Designer would paste into Photo in the exact location and scale it had been in Designer. This is a great feature, and critical to what I do. 

After upgrading, this ability was lost. Now pasted objects appear at reduced size and in the upper left corner of a Photo canvas. If I reverse the process, and marquee select an area of the canvas in Photo, pasting it into Designer will cause it to appear enormously out of scale.

I know that the underlying file format has changed, and we can no longer [edit in Photo] or [edit in Designer] (which is a huge loss) until Photo 1.5 comes out. I assume this is related, but I very much hope this behaviour will be restored very very (very) soon. 

Great software, but I think it's a mistake to release out-of-synch file format versions, when that interoperability is half the reason I own and use these tools...

urbanistica,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. :)

.... I think it's a mistake to release out-of-synch file format versions, when that interoperability is half the reason I own and use these tools...

Sorry, I have to agree, and this was not our plan, as a synchronous release of Photo 1.4.4 was planned to keep the very ability that is important to your workflow. However critical issues were found that have stopped Photo 1.4.4 being released.

With 1.4.4 has been delayed and probably shelved, can I suggest that you install Photo 1.5.0 beta 8 (from the beta forum) that will allow you to copy paste with Affinity Designer 1.5.1 .

If you would rather not use beta software then the release 1.5 photo should be in the app store during December.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

I'll try the Beta, and thanks for the incredibly quick reply. I'm reading through the forums to see if other issues related to this have arisen, and what comes through loud and clear is that you guys really are at the top of the support game. 

Is it also possible that the Beta will restore the [edit in Photo] and [edit in Designer] features? 

I think that 'Edit in...' may require the installation of the Designer beta too, but I'm not sure, other forum regulars may help reply to this (before my colleagues are back in the morning).

Once saved in the beta build your files won't be editable in the release version of Photo, so please use "Save as" until you have some confidence that this process will work for you. This is also explained at the top of the beta release threads

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Hi urbanistica

Just to steer it back to your original issue, I'm able to replicate the change in position, but the actual size of the layer remains the same for me. When you say identically sized images, can you check the DPI of the images also match as well as the physical dimensions. This is what is most likely to cause a difference in the scaling

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

well, what I'm actually doing is resuming editing between two docs, one in Photo and one in Designer, that I had started with Designer at the earlier version (I guess 1.4.x). The behaviour showed up once I upgraded. So taking what you're saying, does that indicate that they now take account of DPI that didn't get noticed before?

And just as a question - can I downgrade my Designer version until the corresponding Photo version is released?