You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

URGENT! Can't open Files - "Permission was denied"

Hi There,

Please help. I can't open any of the Affinity Designer files that I have created or save new ones I keep getting Permissions errors (see attached screen grabs). 

I've tried opening them in both the latest App Store Build (1.5.1) and the latest Beta (1.5.2 beta 3)

I am running El Capitan 10.11.6

I've attached the errors that i am receiving 

I have tried pressing Control whilst opening and clearing everything but that hasn't worked. And I have restarted my laptop multiple times.

I've currently got multiple live jobs that are using designer that I am currently unable to work on so it's very urgent.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dave

PS  I can open the dowloaded sample files from the intro screen

post-419-0-69809300-1477941504_thumb.png

post-419-0-13627200-1477941505_thumb.png

Thanks, I haven't had to do a parameter RAM reset for years, and had quite forgotten it as a possible solution for probems.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 weeks later...

hey there,

grrr… still getting this permissions problem. If I do a Parameter RAM reset it starts working again for a while, but then in eventually craps out again and I have to restart my laptop which is more than a little annoying ;)

Any solutions or ideas would be much appreciated.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Still having some issues with this. It's definitely not an Affinity issue as I'm also having the same problem with Numbers I tried the Font trick without success but I am now trying 'resting Home Directory Permissions and ACLs' using the instructions found here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2978282/os-x/when-save-as-says-you-dont-have-permission.html

Seems to be working so far… so fingers crossed :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:15 PM, Macmonkey said:

Hey there I thought I had added an update here but apparently not. I found that if I closed down the hundreds of fonts that I don’t use the issue was resolved. I hope this helps for you too

This solved my problem.

Can someone explain why this is a problem with AppStore versions and not direct installed versions from Serif? It looks like if you have more than 2000 fonts it causes the problem.