You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.  I am using the current Affinity Designer beta.  I was creating a t-shirt design for a friend and wanted to resize it a bit. When I tried, the text on a path did not resize, it just kept floating around.   I am showing both the before and after the resize images.  What did I do wrong?

post-28632-0-71600100-1477937374_thumb.png         post-28632-0-70115500-1477937390_thumb.png

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

It's hard to tell without  seeing the *.afdesign file, but it looks as though the text is trying to stay roughly within the bounds of the lifesaver ring.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That was the magic method, Mike!!  Once I converted the text to curves, it worked perfectly!!   Thanks!!!  Thanks to everyone else who tried to help.  Love the "belay"!   This is being printed on a black t-shirt and will also be put on a coffee mug. 

It would seem that if you started dragging the text, you'd get a popup asking if you wanted to convert it to curves? 

Thanks again!!!!

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Well, by jove, it is there. I looked at the bottom as per your screen shot and didn't see it here.

But it begs the blasted question of why? Nothing else I use requires a special-if-you-know-the-secret-handshake method of resizing a group of which some text on a path is present.

Ahhh, I see what I did wrong!!!   After re-reading the various conversations. I can see where I went wrong.  Converting to curves worked perfectly but I didn't need to do that.  I was using the wrong little "dot" to resize.  There are four blue "dots" (probably called nodes) on each corner. I was using the one on the lower right corner to resize.  This time, I used the other little dot and it worked.  There's nothing to explain what those dots are for!

I did check the box to resize the stroke with the image but forgot it the first time.  I wish that box would stay checked by default.   So, now we have two solutions to the problem! 

Mike, thanks for your nice comments.  I like making personalized gifts like that. They are always appreciated by the recipient.

post-28632-0-37475200-1477945658_thumb.png

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Mike, I agree with you!  This is very obscure.  I had no clue what it was for.  Normally, when resizing an image, you use one of the four corners which is why I did it that way.   Had no clue what that other "dot" was for.   How does one learn these things when they are not documented?  Or how does one even know what to look for when they don't know what to search for?   This is one I won't be forgetting!

So, as I see it, if you want to resize something that has text in it, you need to use the bottom dot, otherwise you can use one of the four corners.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Well, I guess that makes you special then!  :)

In case you're wondering, Recovery Room is the name of my daughter and her partner's yacht. The one that they had prior to this one caught fire out in the middle of the river and they were both badly burned. When they got this new one, they "recovered" from their injuries there, thus the name.  Someone else thought maybe he was a male nurse and worked in the recovery room.  Now you know! :)

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Had no clue what that other "dot" was for.   How does one learn these things when they are not documented?

I always find the hintline text quite useful for these things. If you hover over one of the four corner dots it say "Drag to  resize selection" but if you hover over the extra dot it says "Drag to resize text".

And my special doo-widget is top right.

I think you must have rotated the object through 90 degrees.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Perhaps I did rotate the text on a path, Alfred. Which should then mean the help file should be updated for the eventuality of another person doing it and wondering why the special-if-you-know-the-secret-handshake doo-hickey isn't at the bottom right.

Really, Serif should not have it enabled with the text on a path that is grouped with other items (in my case). It should then always resize with the normal handles. Well, in my not so humble opinion anyway.

Mike, I have to agree with you.  When you are resizing a group like that, everything within the group should resize. It's a normal reaction to expect that to happen, which is what I did.  Along with that goes that "scale with object" check box.  That should be checked by default.  I forgot to check that so had to re-do.  I don't even have the option of having it "stick" and have to go check it each time I want to resize. 

I really like AD but I can see a few very awkward things that make me want to just give up. The worse is saving images. I shouldn't have to check how I want to save it (whole document, etc.) each and every time. It should remember my last selection.  I can't count how many times I've forgotten to change that.  After closing the program and checking the image I saved, it's usually the whole document when all I wanted was the selection. So, I have to re-open AD, load in the file again, then resave with different options. 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

MaryLou, saving the whole document is the default for every app I can think of -- it is a safety feature to prevent loss of changes made to any part of it. I am not sure what kind of selection you want to save (selected layers, a 'marching ants' pixel selection, or what), or if you mean exporting to a different file format or to a new .afdesign file.

If you could clarify that, maybe someone could offer advise about the best way to do what you want?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R,

I believe selection in this case means objects selected...

In my main applications I use daily, the type of export--page, selection or drawing extents--is remembered during a session but always go back to defaults when exited and restarted.

R C-R,

I believe selection in this case means objects selected...

In my main applications I use daily, the type of export--page, selection or drawing extents--is remembered during a session but always go back to defaults when exited and restarted.

If I am understanding what you mean correctly, export in AD on a Mac behaves basically the same way. Is it different for the Windows beta?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Mike is correct. I create mostly objects and logos rather than a full page image.  I always save the selected object without a background.  That means, I  export it as a .png.  Any other program I've ever used, once I set it to my preferences, those preferences "stick" until I change them.   DrawPlus was that way.  I never had to re-export because I accidentally saved the entire document.

For example, let's say I opened a new image and I created a bat, a ghost, and a pumpkin.  I want to export each object separately as PNG files.  I select  the bat and PNG on the menu, then I need to select the Area. The default is Whole Document.  So, I click the drop-down menu and choose Selection Without Background.   All works fine.

Next I want to export the ghost.  The PNG option stays selected,  but not the Area.  I have to go to the drop-down window again and choose Selection Without Background.  To save the pumpkin, I have to go through these steps all over again.

When I have my settings the way I use the program, they should stay that way. I shouldn't have to keep on going back to the Area menu to make a selection.  Is very frustrating.

Hope this explains the problem better.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

MaryLou, have you considered using the Export persona for this? You can choose what to export by layer or by group & then export everything at once to individual files. You can also use slices to control the area of each export if you don't want to do it by layers or groups.

Affinity Photo