You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

default antialiasing and coverage map

Hi AD team,

Question about antialiasing and coverage map - I recently exported some designs which contained circles and got feedback that they looked fuzzy/wobbly/not right. Basic vector circle 84x84 pixels all aligned to the grid etc. exported as a png at 72dpi. 

I could see it also so I did a comparison with what PS exports, same setup in every way (event vector circle in PS). There is a noticeable difference, the photoshop result is smoother (see attached). 

I dived a bit deeper and came across post about using the coverage map to change the antialiasing/get better results on certain shapes.

Questions:

1. Is the appearance I'm getting from AD considered correct or have I found a bug?
  2. If coverage map is considered the way to improve this result it feels a bit heavy handed for something as simple as a circle imo. Any thoughts there? 

Cheers.

post-6493-0-62265600-1477929687_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Malcolm,

Hmmm... well, choosing anti-aliasing ramps is always one of those 'this is better', 'no, this is better' things and I'm sure there are scenarios where you can provoke any engine to produce better/worse results... but that's not to say that we got it right. I think that perhaps the best solution here would be if I could make our renderer default to a customisable ramp until such time as it was overridden by the object settings you choose. That way, the user can change the default ramp at any point and the whole document would redraw with that new ramp. It could also be saved as the document default for future documents.

Would that be okay? :)

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Matt that's a great idea to add a default ramp on an app-wide and at the document level. Maybe also include the default gamma as well?

Hi Malcolm,

Hmmm... well, choosing anti-aliasing ramps is always one of those 'this is better', 'no, this is better' things and I'm sure there are scenarios where you can provoke any engine to produce better/worse results... but that's not to say that we got it right. I think that perhaps the best solution here would be if I could make our renderer default to a customisable ramp until such time as it was overridden by the object settings you choose. That way, the user can change the default ramp at any point and the whole document would redraw with that new ramp. It could also be saved as the document default for future documents.

Matt

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hi Malcolm,

Matt

Hi Matt, Sorry I missed your reply on this been off on another thread doing 3D and promo movies for a while - Yes someway of trying different presets on an Object / Doc / App level would be amazing.

Specifically I'm struggle with small circular graphics sub 100px @72 dpi - I can't get any of it past quality control :(

I'm having to use another app to export these items which is bonkers - as no doubt you'd appreciate.

The trouble with manually tweaking the coverage map curve on items this small and perfectly round is that it's almost impossible to get it just right, the fine control just isn't there, and I'm just trying to eyeball it rather than applying any accurate/targeted maths. So some presets produced by you fine fellows would be amazing. 

I'd invite your or one of your team to test with small circles/torus's as I've mentioned and if you can stomach it compare results with Photoshop and Illustrator for this specific case. I'm certain AD does a better job in other areas. 

Cheers, Mal

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.