You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] White Balance

Hello,

what I don't like in Affinity Photo is the function of white balance. In Photoshop (Elements) there are three pipettes for the black point, white point, and the neutral gray values. In AffinityPhoto there is only the possibility of matching the middle tones. But what if you do not find anything in a picture that corresponds or could correspond to a neutral gray? I hope that Serif in this respect improves the function at example of Photoshop.

Regards,

Martin

• Staff

The picker in Affinity can pick white, black or grey point. You just click and it will use the colour component to adjust the colour balance. Do you have an image that you can correct colour balance in Photoshop Elements that does't work in Affinity?

In PSE 11 (I'm a little out of date) you can select Enhance, Adjust Color, Remove Color Cast and a box appears (which I have tried unsuccessfully to post here) which includes a single dropper and an invitation to drop this onto a black, white or grey point. You can drop this repeatedly and see the effect each time without committing. When you get something you like, click OK and it is committed. 

I appreciate that some people, on some photos, sometimes are willing to spend a lot of time to get the photo just right. On the other hand there are times when you just want something quick 'n easy. Personally I'm in the process of scanning zillions of old slides belonging to a conservation group. The original photos are no works of art and they're getting a quick 'n dirty, scan, straighten, crop, smart fix and on a few recent ones colour correction and that's it. If I can't do it quickly then it's not happening. 

Any chance of a similar feature? Essentially the dropper is saying "Yes I know this area is pinkish but it ought to be white (grey/black)". That area is made white and the rest of the photo adjusted accordingly. Easy to describe, possibly difficult to do?

Oh, and if I'm missed this in AP and it's already lurking in plain sight, apologies.

John