You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colorperfect Plugin Support

• Staff

Hey Tom,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums.

We get quite a few requests regarding plugin support but I don't recall seeing this one before. We'll have to wait and see if development show a particular interest. It would be nice if we could eventually support everything that other apps do. Cheers :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just recently became aware of colorperfect as I also just started shooting and scanning film. I asked them about supporting AP, since it's my photo editor of choice. Below is their response. I would imagine that for other developers to use PS's API, there would be some kind of licensing. What are the chances of us getting full PS plugin support in the future?

"Affinity Photo does not work with ColorPerfect, in that order ;)

For ColorPerfect we use the Adobe Photoshop Plug-in API and it is up to other software makers to fully implement that or not. We will not adjust ColorPerfect to cope with some partial implementation of this or that software. Corel Paint Shop Pro would be another example of such a partial implementation. Folks keep requesting support for that but its the other way around. Corel would need to implement the missing aspects of the PS API for things to work. 

The reason we won't change ColorPerfect is simple. If some software only partially supports the PS API and we try to circumvent non working parts the next thing we know something else will change or fail and we'll start all over again for some future version. 

You're welcome to ask Serif Ltd, the authors of Affinity Photo, to implement the Adobe PS API as needed including what Adobe calls the Photoshop Registry, basically a mechanism that allows plug-ins to store data between subsequent calls. They can also get in touch with us if they please. We have not tested CP with their imaging software but users say it won't work. Be advised that even if it works at first glance the registration process might fail and if it would so would other things - so, in our view it's good for the registration to fail if it does.

Apart from that I can tell you that there already is a third party software maker who has implemented the full scope of the PS Registry so that we are listing their product as a supported host. It is fully featured and cheap so it meets what you were looking for."

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

• 3 weeks later...

Please add my request for Colorperfect plug-in support. I use it quite often for my scanned images (the bulk of my archive). I just purchased Affinity photo after about a 45-minute trial. It will take a while to figure everything out, but I love how it handled the images I tried it with. Also like the detailed controls. Nice work!

• 2 months later...

Please add my vote for ColorPerfect plugin support!

No clue what, if any, licensing issues are involved to fully implement support for PS API, but if a third-party developer such as the brothers that created PhotoLine can do it why can't Serif provide a full implementation? My guess is that it's a question of resources and development time. That said, however, if we had full implementation then any PS plugin could be used in AP. Hey, I can dream... ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I would like to add my voice to those requesting support for Colorperfect. I would love to ditch my adobe subscription, but until this (and smart objects) are implemented by Affinity, I'm unfortunately stuck there.

Thank you for the great apps!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I add my voice to this request as well. Color perfect is absolutely the best plug in for film scanning and getting the colors right. The moment it is supported by Affinity Photo, I will purchase the software.

(On occasion, I download the trial version to test for compatibility. Thus far, no luck)

The developer of color perfect seems to have specified the issues that need to be addressed, so it seems this should be a done-deal.

And I already have the iPad version, so I'd love to ditch photoshop and use just one app on both the tablet and PC.