You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 8)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 8 Here

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity in which you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity Photo 1.5 cannot be opened in Photo 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

It's also worth noting that this beta is completely file-format compatible with the recently released Affinity Designer 1.5.1 in the Mac App Store - although the above disclaimer still applies!

Improvements & Fixes

- New menu option “Show Pixel Selection…” in View menu (to toggle marching ants).
- Allow access to the Develop Assistant panel from the main Assistant Panel (so you don’t need to be developing a RAW file to alter it).
- Draw less handles in the Freehand Selection tools (sometimes).
- Adjustment groups are still adjustment groups even if they contain Live Filters.

- Fixed crashes with Apply Image dialog.
- Fixed inability to apply Apply image (lol).
- Fixed vibrance adjustment text box reading incorrect numbers.
- Fixed bugs where brush nozzle previews would end up getting “cut” or “copied”.
- Fixed bug which prevented some TIFF files from loading.
- Fixed Live Diffuse Glow adding too many history entries.
- Fixed cosmetic issues in EXIF panel.
- Fixed issue where app would crash when certain HDR images have been embedded.
- Fixed issue where app would crash when certain TGA images have been embedded.
- Fixed issue where incomplete / no RAW metadata was mined from some newer cameras.
- Fixed drawing glitches when a Live Filter was applied to a layer with < 100% opacity.
- Ignore layer opacity when creating a pixel selection from a layer.
- Fixed issue where Merge Down on a Live Filter would go weird if other types of layer were between it and the previous pixel layer.
- Fixed Focus Merge crashes.
- Fixed magnetic selection in documents which are not RGBA8.
- Fixed Sierra cosmetic bugs in Develop Extension.
- Fixed Sierra cosmetic bugs in Monochrome Extension.
- Further improvements to Library panel stability.

- Other minor cosmetic fixes.

We are working on the Linked Layers functionality at the moment - it will be released soon. At that point, we will enter the release candidate phase for Photo 1.5.

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team    :ph34r:

Freehand straight selection without blue nodes is just great. I liked your implementation of this tool already but now it's far better. Same goes for toggling selection.

I would LOVE to be able to toggle the blue active layer box in the same manner. There are times it really get in the way.

This just goes on getting better.  :)

What am I missing?? For the life of me, I cannot find the "Show Pixel Selection..." menu choice. Somebody help me!

post-12953-0-27923900-1477864254_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Andy - you were right. Once I set the "language" to British English (instead of "real" English from here in the States!) the menu item showed up. Tally ho, sir.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Bug: LUT tool

All values of the LUT are gone, only the filename remains.

This is important for the user to have a chance figuring out why a LUT may not work correctly, see if they got the right one… etc.

Also wasn't there something about displaying the TITLE value of a LUT in the layer panel?

AP just crashed after applying the first apply image (LAB)

I also think it'a not quite working as a whole

If I want to get the same as PS, blend just one channel (inverted is minus I guess), if I delete all channels except one, it makes no difference....maybe I'm missing how one is supposed to use the input fields.

Also I still can't move the points of curves with the arrow keys and do other nice things :x

Cheers

• Staff

Frank,

The readouts and order / BGR swap were workarounds because our LUT parser was poor - now it just gets those things right.

Also, we can no longer flip order or BGR and we can no longer give a correct readout of the LUT dimensions - because LUTs aren't necessarily like that (some can be 1D, some have input shapers, some are just matrix transforms etc. etc.). These were all things which we ignored before - that's why they looked wrong in the example you sent me previously.

Thanks,

Andy

This is the first time that I've really played with all the (new?) controls for creating shapes so I have no idea how long they've all been there.  But I wanted to say, "Thanks, Guys," for a very comprehensive set that addresses most, if not all, of the requests we've made for shapes.

Clicking the "Apply" button for Apply Image causes AP to crash [beta8].  There does not appear to be any way to select a Destination and a Source that are different layers in the working document.  That is, the Source is also always the Destination.   This begs the question: why are there "S" and "D" designations at all in the equations fields if S and D are identical layers.

I would like to see the Apply Image dialog contain a dropdown menu that lists of all of the layers in the active document next to the "Use current layer" button - you could make the Destination layer active before invoking the Apply Image command, and then choose the Source layer from the dropdown list.  This way the Apply Image command would become useful for mixing channels from various layers in the document, and the Source and Destination would be explicitly known and could be different layers in the same document.  

Kirk

Frank,

The readouts and order / BGR swap were workarounds because our LUT parser was poor - now it just gets those things right.

Also, we can no longer flip order or BGR and we can no longer give a correct readout of the LUT dimensions - because LUTs aren't necessarily like that (some can be 1D, some have input shapers, some are just matrix transforms etc. etc.). These were all things which we ignored before - that's why they looked wrong in the example you sent me previously.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I was referring to the LUT size and TITLE actually but the BGR swap, as fun as it was at times, won't be missed much :)

Thinking about it maybe a checkbox for each channel would be cool. Not so much for a technical reason as for a creative. Load a 1D shaper and just set it to say, the red channel. Could lead to some neat results. 

When I open a LUT in Lattice (my go-to tool for finishing and checking LUTs), it shows what kind it is (1D shaper or 3D cube) and what resolution (it doesn't open multiparts yet though). I would think, if you can parse the LUT, you can display the LUT data to the user. For Cube it's simple, just use the 'LUT_3D_SIZE 64' line and go: 3D LUT, Size: 64. That's usually enough for legacy LUTs.

Example: I have some commercial LUTs that have zero meta data and for the few moments I still need to use them, I have to rely solely on the file name and size to pick the right ones. Having as much data as possible on a LUT really helps. 

Edited by Frank Jonen

Improvements & Fixes

- New menu option “Show Pixel Selection…” in View menu (to toggle marching ants).
- Allow access to the Develop Assistant panel from the main Assistant Panel (so you don’t need to be developing a RAW file to alter it).
- Draw less handles in the Freehand Selection tools (sometimes).

- Yes, thanks! the Freehand selection tool looks great without all the blue dots. 

- Also thanks for adding the "show pixel selection" option on the menu.

If we could add a keyboard shortcut to it, it would be perfect and complete. This way we can toggle it on and off quickly. Photoshop from a long time back uses Command + H (which is already used up for hiding the app in the system.) But if we can map it to another one ourselves we could come up with the one we prefer... 

- Using the app a little bit more I notice The Crop Mode is still not Sticky. Just wanted to remind the team so you could add it later,

Regards,

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Hi, selecting part of an image, edit-copy, file-new from clipboard the crop change original dimension/dpi. If I copy the new part of the image and paste into original then is smaller. I can replicate also in AP 1.4.3. (macosx 10.8.5).  thanks

velarde,

Thanks - it is possible to assign your own chosen shortcut key to the "Show Pixel Selection" - in Preferences :)

Andy.

Thanks, that's perfect.

I only say the first ones and now I see now there are more Options to change.

VERY happy now  :D

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Love the new update, love the EXR update and poly selection tool.

However I have 2 comments regarding EXR support.

1. Currently when opening EXR the RGBA output is at the lowest position in the stack. So its the most important. Could we have it a bit different? Like having the RGBA on top and then a group with all the other channels below? Otherwise I need to turn off all channels before seeing the RGBA result and as Photo has not the eye-drag support from photoshop but need to click on each checkbox individual it get quite annoying. 

2. The Alpha Channel still acts as a stencil, can't we simple disable alpha to see the RGB information hidden? I know you working on it, but once it works, it would interesting to how it does. Each beta I do a long search...

Love the new update, love the EXR update and poly selection tool.

However I have 2 comments regarding EXR support.

1. Currently when opening EXR the RGBA output is at the lowest position in the stack. So its the most important. Could we have it a bit different? Like having the RGBA on top and then a group with all the other channels below? Otherwise I need to turn off all channels before seeing the RGBA result and as Photo has not the eye-drag support from photoshop but need to click on each checkbox individual it get quite annoying. 

2. The Alpha Channel still acts as a stencil, can't we simple disable alpha to see the RGB information hidden? I know you working on it, but once it works, it would interesting to how it does. Each beta I do a long search...

+1 on that. Alphas as stencil drive me up the wall. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.