Sign in to follow this  
Laserjunge

Font replacement issues at PDF import

Dear Affinity support,

I discovered a problem with the font replacement when I import a PDF which was created by another third party software. 

When I open this PDF with MacOS Preview, everything looks all right (see screen shot). But as soon as I open this file with AD the fonts get destroyed (see other screenshot, options: no font replacement, no grouping) regardless of which import option I choose. That's why I cannot use AD to post process my plots for glamorous journals, which makes 90% of the use of AD for me.

Is there a solution for that?

Cheers.

post-2221-0-56274300-1477851112_thumb.png

post-2221-0-17768200-1477851122_thumb.png

At least with the Beta (using Windows beta here), the replacement font box does come up. However, it is not a perfect replacement as regards the symbols. I would think that if I had the fonts and they were active, that problem would go away.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Hi Laserjunge

I'm getting font replacement in both the app store version 1.5.1 and our 1.5.2 beta. The font replacement should be at the bottom of the PDF import dialog. Obviously the replacement font need to also have similar glyphs in it to represent the text properly. Are you able to tell me which OS you are running if you are not seeing any font replacement options?

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris,

sorry, this was a misunderstanding. The font replacement dialog works for also on my system. This is what I referred to with "import options" in my first post. However, I am confused that a PDF graphic, that I generated on the same system, and what can be opened and visualized correctly by all PDF readers on that system, cannot be opened with AD without screwing up the fonts. 

Maybe I understand to little about how PDFs work, but my question is, what do the PDF readers different to AD, that they do not screw up the fonts created by another third-party software? 

Or asking a bit different, why do I not have to choose a replacement font in a PDF reader?

Cheers, LJ.

Maybe I understand to little about how PDFs work, but my question is, what do the PDF readers different to AD, that they do not screw up the fonts created by another third-party software? 

Or asking a bit different, why do I not have to choose a replacement font in a PDF reader?

PDF readers interpret the fonts embedded in a PDF document. AD doesn't yet do this, so if the font is not installed on your system you have to use a substitute font.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Ok, thanks for the explanation. 

I though this is a feature which is highly necessary to use AD as a design tool in a bigger commercials design network, where you cannot force everyone to use the same software. I spare out a cynic comment here and just add the which, that the feature of font interpretation might be added in a future release, please. 

Alternatively, please make clear in you advertisements that AD is not a tool for technical and scientific work due to the lack of font interpretation (which you need as soon as a collaborator sends you a data plots to prepare for journals) and arrow heads (obvious).

LJ.