You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD 1.5.2 Asset Management Issue

I am delighted to see Asset Management and I'm finding it very useful.

Just an issue with saving.

1 Created a new category called Suburbia

2 I wanted to save this category so exported it as Suburbia 2016 10 30

3 Saved my work and closed the program

4 Opened the program today and checked to see what was showing in the Asset Management pop-up

5 Just IOS10 and Suburbia.

6 When I Imported Suburbia 2016 10 30 it seemed to import but only as Suburbia 1

7 Added more items to Suburbia 1, exported the category as Building Blocks

8 Saved my work and closed the program.

9 Opened the program again. Just IOS10 and Suburbia in the pop-up menu

10 Imported Building Blocks

11 The category Building Blocks imported but called itself Suburbia 2

In reality I had tried this several times so my Asset Manager is temporarily populated with quite a few Suburbias with consecutive numbers.

Is there any way that I can export a category and get it to Import under its correct name, please?

Screenshot 1 is when I was adding today's assets to the Suburbia category that I created yesterday, screenshot 2 shows the results of trying to add either Suburbia 2016 10 30 or Building Blocks.

Do I have to, for example, create a new category called Building Blocks before I can import the file again? This is an activity I foresee using often as I might take an existing category but delete some items and add others to change its nature for future use, when it would be easier just to find the best category from my list for the next project and not just use one category which becomes overpopulated.

post-29-0-81992800-1477839430_thumb.png

post-29-0-67851000-1477839451_thumb.png

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• Staff

You will need to rename the Category in the Assets Panel before exporting. The filename you specify when exporting only relates to the name given to the .afassets file. The name of the Category is stored in the file. If you rename Suburbia 1 to Building Blocks and then export, you won't have this issue :)

Thanks, I've tried it out and it works as suggested. So the Asset Manager stores the name of every category that I create even though I then delete the categories (because I've exported the category and want to remove the assets from the Asset Manager when I start a new document). I just have to make sure that I rename the category before I export, that stores the name. Then when I import the category later it matches up with the saved name.

Not quite what I expected, an extra step which I didn't expect because when I export a category it doesn't fill in the current category name by default, just asks me to choose a name - no indication that a new name will be useful in Finder but will show as another copy of Asset or of the last used category name as appropriate.

I can see that this isn't normally an issue as the tendency would be to create a new category, add to it and export it, whereas I was changing some aspects of it and exporting under another name. 

The Asset Manager has made AD much more relevant to me, a great addition :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album