You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sewing patterns via multiple artboards

My lady makes sewing patterns with Illustrator, and we'd like to bring her into the AD fold, but have run into a stumbling block. Here's what we're trying to do:

Create multiple A4 size artboards and align them edge to edge both horizontally and vertically (ie. we create a sort of grid out of adjacent artboards). We then draw the full sewing pattern across the artboards, and export each artboard as a PDF for clients to print out at home and tape together to produce the full-size clothing pattern.

In order to make this work, however, we need to be able to draw lines that will print on every artboard that the line goes over. So for example, a line from the top left artboard that continues onto the artboard just to the right should show up on both pages in the final PDFs.

I haven't been able to find a way to do this in Designer. If we put the line on artboard 1, it won't print on artboard 2, and if we put the line on no artboard, it displays on screen properly, but doesn't show up in the PDF.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Is there a way to print a single object over multiple artboards?

• Staff

Hi Greyscale,

Please note that we are in the UK and you posed your reply over the weekend this means you may not get a reply until the following Monday. We try to reply to as many posts as possible over the weekend but it isn't always possible to reply to everyone so please be patient. Unfortunately it isn't possible to do what you are looking for at the moment. I will move this post to the Feature Requests section for you :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Is this still not possible six years after the original poster's query?

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing as the tile printing function does not seem to operate properly. Can you not draw a large image over multiple a4 artboards so it can be printed and easily fixed together for a paper template?

Thanks

I think the artboards issue has been resolved. I did a quick trial exporting an image over multiple artboards, and it worked. There's also now at least one online tutorial about pattern making with AD: https://haberdasherbee.co.uk/blog/designing-sewing-patterns-in-affinity-designer/

In order for objects to print on all pages when you generate the PDF, you need to make sure that they are placed above all the artboards in the layer panel. See the attached screenshot. Placing objects inside a specific artboard will restrict them to that artboard/page on export.

Thanks for fixing this, Serif!

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 09.51.04.jpg

I have this exact same problem.....

I've done what you mentioned above @greyscale , dragging the object above all the artboards so it appears across them all.

But... as soon as I move the object it immediately snaps to and groups with just 1 artboard (so once again I cant see it across them all).

Do you have this problem? Is there a way around this?

19 hours ago, greyscale said:

unless you switch on the Edit All Layers button at the bottom left of the Layers panel. I think that will solve the issue.

Amazing! 
Thank you @greyscale

Another question for you... do you then export 1 artboard at a time using file/export? Or do you use the export persona to export all artboards??  

Also since were both doing similar work (garment patterns) I thought I’d ask you this question... The only thing missing from AF when drafting a pattern is the ability to measure curves. Do you have a work around for this? What do you do?

Many Thanks 😊 

Very happy to help!

It's actually my partner who is making the patterns, and she hasn't made the full transition to AD yet. So I don’t think I have an answer for measuring a curve. The only thing I can think of is setting the view to actual size and measuring with a real ruler, or printing it out and measuring on the paper. Probably not ideal solutions though…

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I see this thread began in 2016, but the conversation seems to have continued until quite recently.

@greyscale  I think there’s an easy way to help your lady by using Symbols.  I’ve attached a sample file based on my understanding of your objectives.  I’d be interested in any comments/feedback.  No, I don’t make patterns for garments or accessories….

My example defines only 4 of the 12 slices needed to export my whole “pattern”, but it should be enough to illustrate the concept.

Regards

slice2.png

slice4.png

slice1.png

slice3.png

Garment Pattern.afdesign

@LionelD Thanks! I happy to report that this issue has been fixed. The solution is, rather than placing all printable elements inside the artboards, you should draw them above the artboards in the layer stack. Then everything prints out on all pages. I think this is what you've done in your file, Lionel.

Not sure if Affinity has fixed this, or if I simply hadn't tried this approach before! Either way, it's very easy to do now 😃 

• 1 month later...

This bellow example should work for this, it could also be used for Carrousel Social Media Posts, and anything that requires splitting an artboard into multiple smaller sections.

image.thumb.png.c8372a17354393ae82ea29fa3578613a.png

( The above is a 4x3 grid in A4 Size, but adding / resizing should be a simple task )

Drawing Board:

An artboard that is made into a "Symbol"

Print Overlay:

An ArtBoard with a "Symbol" in it called "Print Overlay", anything placed inside the simble will be visible on every single print Page 

Export Layout:

A grid of A4 Sized ArtBoards, each one has the "Drawing Board" symbol inside it as well as the "Print Overlay"

Pros:

Easier to resize / add additional boards compared to overlaying slices on top of the "Full" ArtBoard

A clean ArtBoard on the right with unobstructed view from the Print Overlays ^

Cons:

Potential Performance issues, considering that the "Full" artboard gets coppied into every single Print Page

File: Garment_Layout--A4--4-3.afdesign