You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dictionaries and spell check

Just a bit puzzled here. I'm labeling screenshots in Designer and then using them in Serif Page Plus.

Both appear to be set the British(UK) English - at least they both tell me that Color is miss spelt.

However, the words Calliper and Caliper appear to cause a  conflict! PagePlus insists it has two Ls (an "alternative" UK spelling), Designer insists it has one L.

Do programs each provide their own dictionaries? Can I set either program up to share the dictionary of the other?

(You can tell I have work I should be getting on with :-) )

• Staff

Hi Jeffjn,

You can set the language for the Dictionary in the Character tab attached :) When this is set to English Colour and Calliper both shows the correct spellings :)

C

post-12469-0-70556400-1477905767_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Humm...

Well on my setups, they don't. in the screenshot, the PagePlus version is above (and in my opinion correct) and the Affinity one is below, and differs from what you say you see in your post.

I admit this is a very trivial thing, I just am puzzled :-)

post-35033-0-14833200-1477907278_thumb.png

English (UK) as per the screenshot.

(Word seems to agree with PagePlus)

Maybe this is just an error/discrepancy in the dictionary provided. I thought that maybe they would be common dictionaries. But if you are seeing Calliper as wrong with Designer set to UK, then it must be my setup.

post-35033-0-70543400-1477910069_thumb.png

post-35033-0-53863700-1477910235_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, WhiteX said:

So... how do you add other Dictionaries / Language packs to Designer?

You don't. Support for different languages has to be built into the app so that for example tool names & other UI elements appear in that language. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

You don't. Support for different languages has to be built into the app so that for example tool names & other UI elements appear in that language. 

We’re talking about two different things here. Support for UI languages has to be built in, but spellchecking need not be limited to those languages. Serif PagePlus, for example, has (as supplied by Serif rather than WinSoft International) never offered more than four UI languages; however, the dictionaries for spellchecking the text in a document have long covered about a dozen languages, and latterly there has been a Hunspell option allowing the installation of additional dictionaries for many more languages.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Support for UI languages has to be built in, but spellchecking need not be limited to those languages.

True, but that depends at least in part on built-in support from the OS for multiple dictionaries.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

45 minutes ago, R C-R said:

True, but that depends at least in part on built-in support from the OS for multiple dictionaries.

Not necessarily the OS. The app could use a standard spell checker such as Hunspell, which already supports multiple dictionaries and allows users to create and/or install them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The app could use a standard spell checker such as Hunspell, which already supports multiple dictionaries and allows users to create and/or install them.

So the question now is what format do the Affinity programs expect the dictionaries to be in?  I've tried a couple of Hunspell ones and they didn't work.

<edit>

Looking at the dictionaries that Affinity is supplied with, it seems they are Hunspell!  Just make sure the dictionaries are in the correct folder structure!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 4/24/2018 at 2:28 PM, IanSG said:

So the question now is what format do the Affinity programs expect the dictionaries to be in?  I've tried a couple of Hunspell ones and they didn't work.

<edit>

Looking at the dictionaries that Affinity is supplied with, it seems they are Hunspell!  Just make sure the dictionaries are in the correct folder structure!

That's promising. If there's anyone who succeeded with the addition of extra dictionaries to the spell checker, please let us know. How did you do it?

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

It's easy!  The Hunspell dictionaries are provided as 2 files named something like aa_AA.aff and aa_AA.dic.  These files are placed in a folder called aa_AA which is under the additional dictionaries folder.  "aa_AA" is just an example - the actual filenames will depend on which language you're using.  Some of the dictionaries are supplied as .xpi files - these are Thunderbird addons.  In reality they're just zip files, so you just need to rename the file extension to .zip and then unpack them.

You can find a load of dictionaries here and here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I tried this and it didn't work..

I created a new folder: C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\Lithuanian 

And added two files in it: Lithuanian.aff and Lithuanian.dic

I downloaded those files as @IanSG has advised from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/language-tools/ (renamed the .xpi file to .zip and extracted)

I restarted Affinity but do not see Lithuanian in Character -> Language drop-down.

Did it work for anyone?

49 minutes ago, neilazas said:

Hi, I tried this and it didn't work..

I created a new folder: C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\Lithuanian 

And added two files in it: Lithuanian.aff and Lithuanian.dic

I downloaded those files as @IanSG has advised from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/language-tools/ (renamed the .xpi file to .zip and extracted)

I restarted Affinity but do not see Lithuanian in Character -> Language drop-down.

Did it work for anyone?

Actually, it does work :) I show in my example: I've created a pl-PL folder inside "C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\" and extracted .aff and .dic from the link above. Restart AD and works. 

I think in your case, you have to create an lt-LT folder (I suppose this is a shortcode) and should works to you too.

Affinity Designer, Publisher and Photo | v1 - v2 

8 minutes ago, Corny said:

I think in your case, you have to create an lt-LT folder (I suppose this is a shortcode) and should works to you too.

That's where I went wrong when I first tried this - the folder names have to be correct.

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2018 at 12:50 AM, IanSG said:

It's easy!  The Hunspell dictionaries are provided as 2 files named something like aa_AA.aff and aa_AA.dic.  These files are placed in a folder called aa_AA which is under the additional dictionaries folder.  "aa_AA" is just an example - the actual filenames will depend on which language you're using.  Some of the dictionaries are supplied as .xpi files - these are Thunderbird addons.  In reality they're just zip files, so you just need to rename the file extension to .zip and then unpack them.

You can find a load of dictionaries here and here.

The second link seems to be for Thunderbird only. Is it possible to use it for other apps?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

6 hours ago, IanSG said:

Once you've done the renaming / unpacking you'll have the .dic files - you can use these in any program that supports Hunspell dictionaries.

I can't find the option to download them, also. Do I have to pay for them? I think they are free, but maybe I have mistaken.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

3 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Do I have to pay for them? I think they are free, but maybe I have mistaken.

I think they're free, too - I use Thunderbird and I've never seen an add-on that wasn't free, or any way of paying for one if it wasn't!