You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi reza55n,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure what are you trying to achieve here... Why would you want to click outside the selected layer/object? If you want to move more than one object to the selection you can shift-clicking other objects. Am i missing something here?

Hi reza55n,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure what are you trying to achieve here... Why would you want to click outside the selected layer/object? If you want to move more than one object to the selection you can shift-clicking other objects. Am i missing something here?

Hi, nice to meet you!

Sometimes when I'm working with vectors, unwillingly click beside of a node so layer becomes deselected and another layer may be selected, and it's bother to select the target layer again. Similar happens when moving small layers. In Photoshop, layer selection is locked by default so designer concentrates only on current layer with no fear of changing selection:)

• 4 years later...
55 minutes ago, M D P said:

I want to know this too. I accidentally click outside many times while working with the nodes and it gets deselected

Have the Layer(s) selected you want to lock. Then on the far right end of the Layers tab is a Padlock icon. Press it. You should see a padlock appear on the right side of the Layer(s) you have selected. This only prevents moving/repositioning of those items in those layers.

You can also Lock Groups, and individual object within Groups and Layers.

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

Have the Layer(s) selected you want to lock. Then on the far right end of the Layers tab is a Padlock icon. Press it. You should see a padlock appear on the right side of the Layer(s) you have selected. This only prevents moving/repositioning of those items in those layers

But it doesn't prevent deselecting them, does it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I guess it doesn't. It does make it easier to reselect if others are locked..

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

5 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Have the Layer(s) selected you want to lock. Then on the far right end of the Layers tab is a Padlock icon. Press it. You should see a padlock appear on the right side of the Layer(s) you have selected. This only prevents moving/repositioning of those items in those layers.

You can also Lock Groups, and individual object within Groups and Layers.

That's not helpful. I want current layer to stay selected no matter what.

9 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I guess it doesn't. It does make it easier to reselect if others are locked..

No it doesn't make it easier either. I'm working on a path and the only way to select it back is through the layers panel which is painful.

1 hour ago, M D P said:

No it doesn't make it easier either. I'm working on a path and the only way to select it back is through the layers panel which is painful.

I might be imagining this, but doesn't "undo" undo the de-selection and therefore re-select the path?