You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nice looking book - but very pricey, especially in New Zealand dollars.

Surely there is an ebook coming?

(The as yet undead trees will also be very happy to hear such news)

Tim

Tim, not having an eBook Workbook protects the value of the book others have paid for. Once there is an eBook, it finds its way into leaked links, shared sites and other mass-volume gimmees. While a hard cover can be loaned or given away, it doesn't become a mass-volume issue. I'm not affiliated with Affinity or Serif so this isn't an official response. I did purchase the pricey Workbook, I'm enjoying it, but I can see how I might feel ripped off if it was suddenly available as a free leak-link. 

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• 3 months later...

Well, if you had an ebook version, I would have bought it just now. I was on Amazon--sadly only a heavy book that will cost me as much to ship to Australia as it costs.

Btw, is this legit or is it already pirated?

LINK TO VIRUS SITE REMOVED BY MOD (pjc)

Having a legal ebook will not increase piracy. It will be pirated anyway. What it will do is give people like me a place to legally purchase the format I want.

Rolf

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, not having an eBook Workbook protects the value of the book others have paid for. Once there is an eBook, it finds its way into leaked links, shared sites and other mass-volume gimmees. While a hard cover can be loaned or given away, it doesn't become a mass-volume issue. I'm not affiliated with Affinity or Serif so this isn't an official response. I did purchase the pricey Workbook, I'm enjoying it, but I can see how I might feel ripped off if it was suddenly available as a free leak-link. 

Dogmatism.

1. This is a book about a specific version of a software which means it will be outdated. Therefor, trees are dead for nothing. Just ecologic waste. I never buy any books about IT anymore. I buy ebooks or services like safari bookshelf.

2. This is the era of tablets and digitals. Only publishing a book in paper is just sending the wrong signal to your customers. You look like old school thinker / grumpy grandpa "life was better before". Not very good when you want to sell software and get trust about the future.

3. Whether you like it or not, even in physical format only, soon or late, somebody will scan it and create a PDF for free. There are even services to do it for you now. So better sell the ebooks yourself and grab some money. Let ppl supports you.  

4. This book is huge and we are in a global world now. I am currently living outside my country since years. All my books are now 100% digital which allows me to move anywhere without double thinking about buying a book. Right now, I would clearly not purchase a paper book of this size knowing I would have to handle it when I move back. Too heavy.

Not providing the ebooks won't change it will be available as a free leak-link. Putting your head in the sand do not change reality.

Worst, not being able to get this book easily just strengthen their competitors: most sketch users are impressed when I show them the marketing about AD. Now try to do what they show with available resources outside the book. Mostly impossible or you will have to waste hours to learn bit by bit here and there on forums / links / articles. So they stick to what they know: Sketch. Sales lost.

Actually, The WorkBook should be their weapon to get more market share, instead they have locked themselves into a niche. Affinity is a challenger here, it's not the guy already in place. I think they should increase the price of AD by $10 ou $20 and include the ebook with it. That way, the mass effect that every licence sold is purchasing the book will covers the difference in price and you have more chance to convert ppl to your product. Affininty would still be cheaper than their competitor but would give you the knowledge to outperform others from day 1.

Heck, they could even get outside the Mac App Store and get 30% of their money back to fund the book.

Big missed opportunity.

Snip

1. This is a book about a specific version of a software which means it will be outdated. 

Snip

3. Whether you like it or not, even in physical format only, soon or late, somebody will scan it and create a PDF for free. 

Seems your argument is self defeating. You say the book will be outdated. But,  some one will digitize it  and others d-load a 400+ page document that will be outdated, as if network connection is free.  Repeat. Repeat.

"I think they should increase the price of AD by $10 ou $20 and include the ebook with it. That way, the mass effect that every licence sold is purchasing the book will covers the difference in price and you have more chance to convert ppl to your product."

This makes some sense, but are you sure that is enough to compensate the people who made the content? They not only know how to use the 'ware, but obviously have lots of previous practice. It may seem silly, but actually having a physical item that is intact and has one's name on the credit is remarkably valuable.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Dogmatism.

Oops, I got lost on your first word...

dog·ma·tism    ˈdôɡməˌtizəm/   noun
noun: dogmatism
the tendency to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true, without consideration of evidence or the opinions of others.

Pretty sure I didn't do this. In fact I went to a great deal of trouble to say my comment was only my opinion. Maybe your use of the word was meant to categorize your comments following that word. I couldn't tell except that you quoted my post.

Anyway, I like that you inserted that word as it gave me an opportunity to look it up and reconfirm that I did know what it means.  :)

Regardless, you made some good counterpoints and I can see your side of the issue.

Gdenby's post above seems to have merit as a good approach.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

The main problem with the book is that new features to be introduced in versions 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 etc will not be in the book

Also will there be another book purchase needed for version 2.0?

I would happily pay extra for the initial program which included an electronic copy of the book.  Updates to the electronic version of the book could simply be included when new updates of the main program were released.

Right now, I cannot justify buying a book which by version 1.6 will be an incomplete resource for anyone wanting to fully learn the software.  And by version 1.9 it could be totally inadequate for the task

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Seems your argument is self defeating. You say the book will be outdated. But, some one will digitize it and others d-load a 400+ page document that will be outdated, as if network connection is free. Repeat. Repeat.

"I think they should increase the price of AD by $10 ou $20 and include the ebook with it. That way, the mass effect that every licence sold is purchasing the book will covers the difference in price and you have more chance to convert ppl to your product."

This makes some sense, but are you sure that is enough to compensate the people who made the content? They not only know how to use the 'ware, but obviously have lots of previous practice. It may seem silly, but actually having a physical item that is intact and has one's name on the credit is remarkably valuable.

So you are implying that downloading a file as the same ecologic impact as cutting trees?

This book is huge.

Share your point.

Though digital book's going to be outdated absolutely the same way as the paper one, unless author doesn't provide free updates, digital copy costs a bit less - shipment payment (for some places it's quite huge) and waiting time = economy + you can take digital copy on your Kindle / any reader when you do travel or just moving in the city. It's bit productivity advantage. So to pay more for what I'll get only less from... it's not rational.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

On the point about "dead trees", you will find a lot of printers/paper producers these days plant more trees than they use. In some ironic twist, books are better for the environment as the energy of digital books is "gone". A book doesn't use more resources to read it. Also the device you need to read a digital book uses resources, the servers used to store the digital books use resources, and so on.

I still prefer digital books as I can carry 100s of them around on a single device... and I can power my devices with a solar panel (which I do when travelling!)

So yes. I send a digital book, or something I can log into.

• 2 years later...

A lot of important things have been said here. It here are my two cents.

I don't read "analog" "not-e" books at all. I have poor sight and tablet apps like Kindle allow me to set any font size and color theme I want. A tablet is always in my backpack containing all the books in the world except for books, which have no eBook version. It saddens me that things like piracy slows down such a convenient modern way of sharing information as eBooks. But the truth is the one who pirate will pirate no matter what. It is not only a matter of money, it's way of life. For some people it is easier and, let's say more "noble" to get a book, scan it and share it at the nearest torrent tracker than buy it. These things would never change. But the rest people who would be glad to buy a good eBook have no other option but suffer with dead-tree version or suffer without book at all.

Thanks.