You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As so many others, I was waiting on a new Mac as my old crashed for good, but got quite disappointed with the new Macbook Pros.

I've always used Mac and Affinity Designer is one of the most used apps. but now I seriously consider a Windows computer.

So in short: how comparable in features are the Windows vs Mac version of Affinity Designer?

Just spend about 100€ on Photo and Designer, but it might be now to make the switch to the evil Windows :(

• Staff

So in short: how comparable in features are the Windows vs Mac version of Affinity Designer?

Just spend about 100€ on Photo and Designer, but it might be now to make the switch to the evil Windows :(

Every feature (that is not OS specific, and there's only a handful) is the same. That's the aim and we are just about there.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Well what is it that you´re disappointed about/ what you are looking for?

I´m pretty sure they will run AD just fine, as apple also said in their presentation.

Apart from that it depends if you want to change your habbits amd how much you like or dislike mac gestures or shortcuts.

Pricingwise I think you can compare other computers yourself and make a jusdgement wheather a touch display or a Unibody or whatever feature you like best.

And no matter how powerful the maschine is, at some point you will mange to get it`s performance to break, that is for sure.

One option to take into consideration as well is to go for a used MacBook (or windows computer).

One thing is for sure

- great work has been done on both sides (and even one other systems)

Thanks for the good answers and questions. I've got my first Mac in 1992 and always liked the simple and minimalistic approach Apple made with their computers. When I changed from iOS to Android a few years ago that was a big step for me tech-wise, and I've not regretted that change at any point at all. So when my Mac crashed a month ago I looked into how far the Windows computers where in terms for design and I could quickly see that series like Dells XPS-series looks even better than the MBPs. So when Apple upped the pricing today and released a computer with yesterdays tech, I'm bummed and very serious thinking about doing the change to MS like it seems almost all other Mac customers writing on forums are doing (but lets see whats happen in reality).

But in the end I dont care about hardware and I need a solid and great performing working software and thats why I ask. Since Affinity releases the software on Mac first, I'm not keen to switch to Windows if it doesnt work well there. However if I get the same experience, I have a hard time to figure out why I should pay for a new Apple product.

I can understand the "tech from yesterday" — comparing the new MacBooks with the current Surfaces and the currentiMacs with Microsofts Surface Studio makes me cry.

In the last couple of years Apple has been seriously behind the new technologies and forced some things that make absolutely no sense (laptops with just one single USB-C port, the new trackbar thingy that forces you to look at the keyboard instead of knowing your keys and hitting them blind, the fact that the computers still dont have touch screens or the trackpads come at least with stylus support, the fact that the most expensive iMacs and MacPros are not able to run any VR hardware because of the graphic cards restrictions, the fact that most computers cannot be upgraded anymore with extra RAM or a new harddrive, the absolutely absymal battery life of the Apple Watch, the new OS that deletes data from your computer and clutters your Cloud storage if you don't contioualy deactivate the feature …).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Apple computers and the operating system, I switched from Windows in 2005 and never looked bakc … until recently … the grass seems getting greener and greener in the other garden.

In the last couple of years Apple has been seriously behind the new technologies and forced some things that make absolutely no sense (laptops with just one single USB-C port

The single USB port has worked fine for me. Whenever I look around at the coffee shop or library. People hardly ever plug anything into their laptops whenever they are out and about. The hubs they make these days are super small so if I really need those ports I can always slip a small hub into my pack without making any bulk. 

Like it or not the iPad is Apple's touchscreen computer. It lacks a lot of the Mac's features but at this point I can't see Apple making a touchscreen Mac in a hundred years now. There are advantages to not having a touchscreen. Not having to clean the screen 10 times a day is nice and keeping the touch strip within close proximity the other keys is another.