You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Less PNG export options than DrawPlus X8

DrawPlus 8 has more variable PNG export options than AD1.5 (see screenshot of DP8)

You only get PNG-8 and PNG-24, no 32bit?

I've used 32bit over 24bit on a few occasions.

No option to alter the compression?  0 to 9?  i used it a lot to compact the PNG.

Super sample also came in handy at times, i can't find this option?

Any chance you can bring the feature rich export options to AD?

post-39758-0-38248500-1477582878_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi GreyEyes,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The 32bit is the same as 24bit + 8bits for transparency. In Affinity Designer, set you background to transparent in the Document Setup dialog and export it as PNG-24 to get the same result. The other options are not available as you discovered.

Thanks for your feedback.

THE best PNG exporter/optimizer is Color Quantizer. Period.

Export your PNG as full 24bit and transparency, and load it in CQ. The options available are by far superior to other visual tools, and it offers something unique: a quality mask brush, which allows for precise control to retain even small spots of colour. Better even than the command line tools that are available.

It also offers a wide range of down-sample algorithms, dithering options, and other controls. An automatic trim option is available too. Batch processing as well.

Get it here (freeware): http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html

The 7.0.4 version is the latest one. Unfortunately only available for Windows, but it is worth installing WINE for on a Mac.

zelda-main-4.png

• Staff

The PNG compression 0-9 in the Plus range reduces the file size as expected. It only affects the time it takes to save a file (more compression => slower). It makes absolutely no difference to the load time. So, unless you're in a desperate hurry to exit the app ( ;) ), it makes sense to save with maximum compression all the time. [i will check that we actually are doing this]

MEB has explained that the transparency is created by designing on a transparent page, so the app is wysiwig.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2016 at 8:27 PM, Patrick Connor said:

The PNG compression 0-9 in the Plus range reduces the file size as expected. It only affects the time it takes to save a file (more compression => slower). It makes absolutely no difference to the load time. So, unless you're in a desperate hurry to exit the app ( ;) ), it makes sense to save with maximum compression all the time. [i will check that we actually are doing this]

MEB has explained that the transparency is created by designing on a transparent page, so the app is wysiwig.

Any update on this?