You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie question - Clone tool and file types

I've purchased Photo and Designer both, although my preference is to use Designer.   I've spent many hours learning from the Affinity tutorials (good job making those too!)  I'm not a graphic designer by trade, but love creating my own business graphics.  

To this end I'm working on a project that I started in Designer, but all of a sudden I could not find the clone tool.  Nor did I find it in the help section. 

So I go over to Photo and sure enough, there is a clone tool.  However, when I go to bring up my saved file from Designer (afdesign), Photo says it can't open that file type?  

Do I have to 'export' the file from Designer simply to work on this one small area of the project in Photo?  

Honestly, this may be enough to drive me back to Photoshop.  I already have tons of actions and styles I can't use in Affinity products - at least as far as I can tell.  

I understand having different versions of a product, but there are some things that seem universal - including not just copying an area, but needing to clone a particular layer in another area. This is a file I'd created in Photoshop many moons ago.  

Thanks for any assistance!

Debbie

Until AP 1.4.4 is released, you can try the AP 1.5 beta 6. It is the first pinned item in the Affinity | Forum  → Affinity Beta Support  → Affinity Photo on Mac Beta section.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7