You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello fellow forumers,

Is there a user guide or manual for Affinity at the moment? Whilst I understand that:

1. It's important you explore on your own, that way any bugs have a slightly higher chance of being found, and;
  2. This is in Beta, and may not be fully complete/functions can change/the project could be scrapped (although I hope not);

I would absolutely love some kind of link to a reference guide. I mostly work in a convenience store, and like reading up on things during my breaks to then come home to actually try them. I am most able to maximise my time in this way.

I have looked & looked but couldn't find anything of the sort. Is there such a thing at this point in time? Or will this become a feature before the program gets its launch?

I remain,

iPrune

Prune, at the moment, there is no tutorial for Affinity. Only the Affinity Designer Help under the Help menu. Here is a short thread on it:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/256-are-we-here-yet/

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• 2 years later...

Affinity Photo and Designer are no longer Beta software, and I love em a lot.

But I have to say a manual like thing is needed. Maybe just a statement of the model of interaction would be a good first step. Tutorials are good, but I've been using Designer and Photo for about a year now, as needed, and I cannot say I have internalized a "model of interaction" for them.

In order for this software to have been developed, the writers, by necessity, must have a shared idea of an exact model of interaction for the software.

Every time I need to use a mask, I have to try 10 or more things before I find the right way to do what I want.

Every time I want to adjust type I struggle a to find the control I want, or I find it and it has no effect (until I find another one that overrides it.)

WTF is a pixel layer and when and why might I need it.

Placed items do not seem to have a linking function. Is there a linking function and if not why place an item rather than just cut and paste? etc.

In short, it seems like the model of interaction is inconsistent or obscure. I'd love to be wrong on this. I'm sure part of my difficulty has to do with the complexity and flexibility of the software. Obviously Designer isn't just a vector program and Photo isn't just bitmap one. But I have experience with software like the the Adobe suite, Painter, various CAD and solid modeling packages etc. But many of these are easy to pick up because the model of interaction is either well explained, or very apparent (the others are hard to use.) The Affinity SW seems to largely follow the Illustrator / Photoshop model, but seems to regularly stray from it in unexpected ways. I'm sure there's a reason. Please share. :-)

*** Is there a resource somewhere that lays out a model of interaction that the creators of the software try to adhere to? That indicates major and/or philosophical differences between Photo and Designer and Affinity and Adobe's approaches? Something that would generally serve as a guide to approaching what should be done in what way and how? ***   Thanks.

• Staff

Hi JPWatkins,

All the features of the program are covered in detail in the Help file. You will find explanations and step by step instructions for all tools and processes there.

If you check it regularly while you are using the tools you should have no issues understanding how things work. If you find something that's not clear or missing information please let us  know so we can fix it. We are also preparing a handbook to complement the Help file and video tutorials.

If you check it regularly while you are using the tools you should have no issues understanding how things work.

Oh, that must be why Google says there are 146,000 pages in the Affinity support forum—Everybody must be like me and has never even thought of even trying to read the Affinity help files. The help files are great and comprehensive it's the users who are F'ed up. That resolves that issue.

Thanks, MEB    ;-)

• 5 months later...

Affinity Photo and Designer are no longer Beta software, and I love em a lot.

But I have to say a manual like thing is needed. Maybe just a statement of the model of interaction would be a good first step. Tutorials are good, but I've been using Designer and Photo for about a year now, as needed, and I cannot say I have internalized a "model of interaction" for them.

In order for this software to have been developed, the writers, by necessity, must have a shared idea of an exact model of interaction for the software.

Every time I need to use a mask, I have to try 10 or more things before I find the right way to do what I want.

Every time I want to adjust type I struggle a to find the control I want, or I find it and it has no effect (until I find another one that overrides it.)

WTF is a pixel layer and when and why might I need it.

Placed items do not seem to have a linking function. Is there a linking function and if not why place an item rather than just cut and paste? etc.

In short, it seems like the model of interaction is inconsistent or obscure. I'd love to be wrong on this. I'm sure part of my difficulty has to do with the complexity and flexibility of the software. Obviously Designer isn't just a vector program and Photo isn't just bitmap one. But I have experience with software like the the Adobe suite, Painter, various CAD and solid modeling packages etc. But many of these are easy to pick up because the model of interaction is either well explained, or very apparent (the others are hard to use.) The Affinity SW seems to largely follow the Illustrator / Photoshop model, but seems to regularly stray from it in unexpected ways. I'm sure there's a reason. Please share. :-)

*** Is there a resource somewhere that lays out a model of interaction that the creators of the software try to adhere to? That indicates major and/or philosophical differences between Photo and Designer and Affinity and Adobe's approaches? Something that would generally serve as a guide to approaching what should be done in what way and how? ***   Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked for this a few times in the past but so far as I know there are no online versions available.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7