You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I admire the concept Microsoft is trying to bring to market with the Studio, but I am going to reserve judgement on how well they have implemented it until people are able to use it for a while in real life workflows & can talk about how well it works for them.

<history lesson> Apple probably still has an edge in that respect. They have been developing hardware for a lot longer than Microsoft. People forget that Microsoft's first product was a BASIC interpreter for the original Apple computers, that Apple was the "A" in the AIM alliance, & that Apple was one of the founders of the company that develops & licenses the ARM CPU architecture used in millions of products & is the basis for Apple's A-series of CPUs. </history lesson>.  B)

Regardless, even though I am a "Mac guy" I hope the Studio is a success. Competition is good for everybody.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I love Apple OSes. But MS is proving that Apple is just "ripping the people off" by going two-tier with iOS and macOS.

Another thing, they increased the baseline price on the new macbook pros but they can afford to do that because no other hardware uses their proprietary system. I'm skipping the new laptop and already looking forward to what they have to offer in 2017. If MS delights users again, I'm sorry to bring up this somewhat a little harsh old adage, but Apple has to shape up or ship out!

Agree with you. I have a MB PRO 15 mid 2015, waiting one or two years before replacement ... If nothing pro to offer ... same for me. And i'm a mac os addict :-///

I admire the concept Microsoft is trying to bring to market with the Studio, but I am going to reserve judgement on how well they have implemented it until people are able to use it for a while in real life workflows & can talk about how well it works for them.

<history lesson> Apple probably still has an edge in that respect. They have been developing hardware for a lot longer than Microsoft. People forget that Microsoft's first product was a BASIC interpreter for the original Apple computers, that Apple was the "A" in the AIM alliance, & that Apple was one of the founders of the company that develops & licenses the ARM CPU architecture used in millions of products & is the basis for Apple's A-series of CPUs. </history lesson>.  B)

Regardless, even though I am a "Mac guy" I hope the Studio is a success. Competition is good for everybody.

For sure ! but there is a "lcotomotive" product that apple doesn't have anymore ... and this Studio computer is not alone ... Did you see the last surface pro ? Nothing to take to apple 13" products ...

For sure there is perheaps an advance in apple news that we don't know ... But ... Do you think i will buy adaptators and adaptators and adaptator to be abble to use freelee my wacom, my external hard disk, my precision mouse, my memory card ? etc etc etc ... magsave ? no more ! it was genius !!! ... prices ??? what next ???? 

I'm a huge mac user, an old one and a defensor of the system, i've had the first "macbook" with a trackblall ! ... old one !!! and it always work !!!! ... But here for a pro work it became more and more restrictive ... too much restrictive ... On my mid 2015 : no way to boost ram, no solution to upgrade 512Go SSd ... tsssssssssssss ... next step : no usb port, no memory card reader, no mag save ... etc etc etc 

Only the OS became more and more the only attractive thing ... and when i see how my win 10 tablet is easy and practical to use ... in 2 years what will the offer be for apple and for others ? ...

2018 : no screen ? ...

Though I admire Studio, I think the experience of sketching on an iPad Pro can really amazing. Apple's native Notes app is one to wax lyrical about. Pencil does pressure and tilt really well, as evidenced by my somewhat mediocre talent.

post-28799-0-34123100-1478097845_thumb.png

Looks like Dell have joined the party - link - http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/2/13500308/dell-just-teased-its-own-surface-studio-pc

Bob.

thanks for the link - I think I like this one even more than the Surface! Times are a-changing and I like the changes, even if I won't be getting either of these for Christmas :D :D :D

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• 2 weeks later...

While Phil's quotes are excerpted from http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/14/apple-svp-phil-schiller-addresses-touch-bar-other-macbook-pro-concerns, I wonder what MS's responses would look like:

Schiller: Can you imagine a 27-inch iMac where you have to reach over the air to try to touch and do things? That becomes absurd.

Microsoft: Silly us, what were we thinking! We should have consulted Apple first, Phil, before working on the Surface Studio (SS), which would slide down to function as a big and beautiful art canvas.

Schiller: Whoa, whoa, you're going too fast. (Quote-on-quote)

Microsoft: Again, did we just offend you with the SS? If we did, first and foremost, we extend to Apple our deepests regrets and apologies... for coming up with, what some say, a fresh and exciting innovation, which any of Apple's new notebooks lacks. Sorry, your touch-what-bar? You call that exciting? So much so that even Logic's update will only be released in 2017 to take advantage of it?

Schiller: I know our team made very smart choices and this is the best notebook that can be made with the greatest technology.

Microsoft: You mean, that's the reason why 1) Apple uses AMD instead of Nvidia for their new notebooks, 2) the new 13-inch MBP cannot fit in a quad-core CPU while the 15-inch variant can?

But I must add, these may be some nitpicking against the brilliant Apple company, who has given consumers so much till this day.

Their iOS and macOS seem superior, as far as I'm concerned. For example, I mean who could pull this off, but Apple, coming up with an undo feature by shaking the iPhone? Clever indeed! Now, let me try to undo changes on my 12.9" iPad Pro, likewise. Wait, you mean I might want to shake that iPad too? Talk about being absurd, well done, Phil!

• 3 weeks later...

Artists have been wanting a machine like the Surface Studio for decades (i saw an early version of this is a kid in Disney's Epcot Center - i believe it was the Kodak Imagniarium pavilion, this was over 20 years ago, lol... Looks like Dell just got in on the game too! Check out their version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKzXRMn9Vfs

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17