You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Duplicating grouped layers within symbols

I'm running into a strange bug when I try and duplicate a group within a symbol. If I'm working within a symbol and make a copy of a group, anything I change in that group affects the group that I copied it from. It's almost like groups inside a symbol are symbols as well.

Here's a video to demonstrate. Note how the text updates in both groups when I edit one or the other.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dph901tingcbkjv/Symbols.mp4?dl=0

I'm getting the same problem with grouped and 'paste inside' layers (which I heavily rely on for my work) and it's driving me insane (and I thought symbols were the answer to my prayers with the latest update!)

The only way I've found to reliably prevent it is to paste the 'copy' outside of the symbol entirely, detach it and then paste it back into the symbol which is stupidly tedious. It makes no difference if you copy and paste, drag-copy or duplicate btw.

Additionally, on some occasions when I've accidentally created a "copy-bug symbol" when I then delete it, it also deletes the original with no way to undo it - which has completely screwed up some of my work (particularly annoying when the original is off-screen and its ages before I realise.)

Please sort it out guys as symbols are pretty much unusable for anything other than pretty patterns and basic duplicates right now.

I've been able to reproduce this consistently. Here are the step:

1. Create a new document

2. Draw a square

3. Add artistic text with any string of text

4. Group the artistic text (I know it's a group with only a single child but whatever)

5. Group that artistic text group with the square from step 2

6. Turn that into a symbol

7. Go into the symbol and duplicate the artistic text group

8. Now change the text in either the original artistic text group or the new one you just made

9. The text incorrectly updates in both

This seems like a bug to me. I found this when designing an iOS UI tab bar across multiple screens. I thought a symbol would be perfect for this but I needed to add a new button with label. I couldn't get it to make a new icon with a unique label so had to scrap using a symbol.

• Staff

I've been able to reproduce this consistently. Here are the step:

1. Create a new document

2. Draw a square

3. Add artistic text with any string of text

4. Group the artistic text (I know it's a group with only a single child but whatever)

5. Group that artistic text group with the square from step 2

6. Turn that into a symbol

7. Go into the symbol and duplicate the artistic text group

8. Now change the text in either the original artistic text group or the new one you just made

9. The text incorrectly updates in both

This seems like a bug to me. I found this when designing an iOS UI tab bar across multiple screens. I thought a symbol would be perfect for this but I needed to add a new button with label. I couldn't get it to make a new icon with a unique label so had to scrap using a symbol.

Thanks for that Bendito33,

I've been able to reproduce this so I shall get it reported to the developers.

In beta 4, there is a fix listed that says, "Fix for copying groups within Symbols causing 'the beginning of the end'"

I thought this may fix the issue outlined in this thread but it still persists. I can replicate it with the exact same set of steps as outlined above.

• Staff

In beta 4, there is a fix listed that says, "Fix for copying groups within Symbols causing 'the beginning of the end'"

I thought this may fix the issue outlined in this thread but it still persists. I can replicate it with the exact same set of steps as outlined above.

It seems to be the 'duplicate' that's the problem - if I copy/paste I get the functionality that you're looking for... I'll sort this out, sorry... :(

EDITED TO SAY: Just fixed this, it'll be in the next build

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.