You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Surface Studio

Couldn't find any price reference...

Rather at the bottom of the page there is a link to pre-order the Surface Studio. Prices range from $ 2999,00 through $ 4199,00  :o

At least there is also an option to add this 'thing' to your wishlist  :)

It will be interesting to see tests of Surface Studio and it's market performance...

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

That is one sexy computer ... I'm a loyal Apple user, but this machine is simply amazing and will make me switch to Windows, if it actually works as advertised. Can't wait to try Affinity Designer and Photo on this screen!

It does look like Microsoft is trying to go after Apple's traditional market...

And here's the thing... they're getting it about 90% right. I used a Surface Pro 3 for the past couple of years as a mobile editing machine, and it did well for editing HD video as well as photos, though it didn't have the muscle for 4K. One of my friends bought a Surface Book, and that's turned out to be a great mobile editing system also... my biggest criticism of the Surface line in general so far is that Microsoft has been avoiding Thunderbolt. Hopefully they'll add it to the newest models, but so far they're resisting.

My new machine is a Razer Blade Stealth, 2016 model... and I plan on adding a Razer Core + GTX 1080 in the near(ish) future via Thunderbolt 3 so that I can work with Resolve and 8K footage on it.

IMO Microsoft is really nailing it with the Surface line. If they embrace eGPU the Surface Studio could become quite popular as a basis for a mid-range colorist's workstation. 

Well, Microsoft said it "mainly" works, with all Surface devices, so I wonder if there will be some restrictions on them?

It looks like there will be some restrictions on using the Dial with non-Studio Surface products (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/input-and-devices/windows-wheel-interactions):

As described earlier, the Surface Dial can be used in conjunction with the Surface Studio to display the Surface Dial menu in a special on-screen mode.

When in this mode, you can integrate and customize your Dial interaction experiences with your apps even further. Examples of unique experiences only possible with the Surface Dial and Surface Studio include:

• Displaying contextual tools (such as a color palette) based on the position of the Surface Dial, which makes them easier to find and use
  • Setting the active tool based on the UI the Surface Dial is placed on
  • Magnifying a screen area based on location of the Surface Dial
  • Unique game interactions based on screen location

• 1 month later...

Beware...Checked already in many testing videos (the MS one), seen in detail... Those of you aiming to drawing/illustration, this hardware has quite some pen/tablet  jitter for that. In the tests, I have seen it even more noticeable than in Surface 3 and 4, where it was already non usable unless using some serious line stabilizator. (like several software have, or using an external cheap utility called Lazy Nezumi) . And is fine to use the stabilization over GOOD hardware... but add more issues to the equation, is of no use, at advanced levels, at least.  Even less when they are charging for it at least 3k. If I were to put 3k in hardware, I'd buy the ones they tried to beat with this, a cintiq 27 qhd. Or even just an iPad Pro with the Pencil and a powerful Windows desktop machine....

Edit: Oh, forgot... And a tad glossy..Not very comfortable for long hours of work...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.