Hello fellow affinity designers,

I recently noticed some performance issues with Affinity Designer.

• Started with 1.5 update.
  • Runs very smoothly on my 2012 Macbook Pro (13" 1280*800, 8Gb Ram, 2.9GHz Core i7, Intel 4000 1536Mb) 
  • Runs laggy and with load times on my 2015 iMac (27" 5K retina, 32Gb Ram, 4GHz Core i7, AMD Radeon R9 4096Mb)
  • Both computers run macOs Sierra 10.12.1

Examples about the performance issues:

• When I move a shape or some text around, even in an empty document, it's like if my "FPS" dropped.
  • The elements/objets don't move smoothly anymore, they kind of jump around like if my computer was having a hard time.
  • This also happens when I edit a gradient with the gradient tool for example
  • Many other scenarios.

To summ it up, my better computer (by far) is having a way harder time (by far) running AD 1.5.

I'd really appreciate some solutions/explanations about this issue. It has a big impact on my workflow. 

C~

Hi Corsicaman

I've just been trying it on a 5k Mac that we have here and it seems to run ok. On higher resolution retina screens, the on screen render does a second higher resolution pass to accommodate the higher screen resolutions. As it would not do this on your Macbook due it its smaller screen size, it seems like this could be causing the difference between the two.

Would you be able to go into the preferences menu and go to the Performance section. there is a drop down called 'Retina Rendering'. By default this is set to auto, of you change this to 'Low Quality (Fastest)', does the performance increase for you at all?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Would you be able to go into the preferences menu and go to the Performance section. there is a drop down called 'Retina Rendering'. By default this is set to auto, of you change this to 'Low Quality (Fastest)', does the performance increase for you at all?

Hello Chris, thank you for your answer.

I went into the preferences and set the rendering to low quality as you asked. The drop of performance remained exactly the same. No improvements.

I then tried changing the other settings to performance over quality, which had no effect either.

Any other idea about where this could come from?

@airtonmaia: What model of MacBook Pro do you have?

@Corsicaman: Can I ask you something crazy? Would you be able to shut down Designer, change your System Preferences -> Display monitor profile to sRGB and then try Designer again... Does that seem any faster? Also, do you have the 5k iMac with the upgraded video card? (it, rather bizarrely, ran slower than the base model GPU in my tests, although that just means something is wrong, I suspect...)

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms as OP described. What is interesting is that this happens only when the rulers are turned on. If I turned them off everything works fine.

I am using MacBook Air 13 2015 with 4 GB RAM.

Thanks!

Same problem here.  Moving any object is sluggish.  Not the nice smooth 60fps I am used to.  Zooming is sluggish and J-j-Jitt-er-y also.

How I fix it:

Hold CONTROL key while opening Designer.

Delete all preferences.

Silky smooth again... until it is not. (have not figured out what triggers the sudden performance drop)

Hi,

I have the same performance issue as described above. I also deleted all preferences without much effectiveness: still not 60 fps and very laggy, even with near empty document.

I'm running AD 1.5.4 on iMac (27", mid-2010), MacOS 10.12.1,CPU: i7 @ 2,93 Ghz, 12Go Ram, ATI HD 5750 1024Mo.

I've got the same issue on MBP retina (15", end of 2013), MacOS 10.12.1, CPU: i7 @ 2,3 Ghz, 16Go Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 Mo

I am having very similar issues... but on PC! Have posted details here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/29932-what-sort-of-speed-should-i-expect-from-affinity-designer/&p=145542

Deleting preferences gains me (very) temporary performance boost, but for no discernible reason things soon grind to a halt again.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Same problem here.  Moving any object is sluggish.  Not the nice smooth 60fps I am used to.  Zooming is sluggish and J-j-Jitt-er-y also.

How I fix it:

Delete all preferences.

Silky smooth again... until it is not. (have not figured out what triggers the sudden performance drop)

Hello Friend!! Thank you very much problem solved!  :D

I just logged this bug. For me the stuttering starts when Rulers are turned on. Turn "Show Rulers" off and everything is good.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Innovation is often the product of constraint

I confirm the problem with the rulers. 

Although that even without rulers it stutters in my laptop. It's much better but far from perfect.

With rulers:
o6N8lw5.gif

Without rulers:
lC7iVZX.gif

Specs:
Bwwt929.png

I've found a solution to this problem with rulers - and I also have a number of other performance improvements ready for beta, all of which will be included in the next Designer Beta which I aim to release after Affinity Photo 1.5 goes live in the Mac App Store :)

Same problems as described here before. Retina macbook pro with Core i7 and dedicated GPU cant handle a circle to move on a canvas without 2fps jitter. 

UPD: Ruler solution helps

I also have performance issues with my new tMBP 13" with 16GB. To open a 34mb file (granted there's quite a lot layers) it can take around 10 seconds to open. So my major documents can take up to a minute which is crazy as my old 2011 MBP 15" (with GPU though) was way faster than this new computer).

Also saving this doc takes around 10-20 seconds, which is bad as I have a habit of saving regularly with shortcuts without thinking about it.

I'll try to see if the ruler-trick fixes the performance-issues while working.

I'm having the same issue on the 1.5.4, with my maxed out tMbp 15" on 5k display.

Turning off the ruler helps, but still nowhere near the performance it should have. I see very choppy performance even with a blanc canvas with 1-2 text blocks. Moving the text block around would also have tearing.

post-16796-0-80021000-1487039876_thumb.png

Untitled.mov

How I fix it:

Delete all preferences.

Worked for me! It's a shame I'm having to re-do all of my preferences but it's honestly worth it, though I wouldn't call it "silky smooth." I'd  say I went from 10fps back up to a moderately acceptable 30-40fps.