You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changes on existing TEXT

Whenever there is the need to make a change to an existing text it is rather difficult to work on it, specially with rather small one.

The 3 dots on right and the 3 on left overlay the characters and cover them.

The double click on a word helps, but what happens when there are more than one word? How to select all of them; to click and pass on the words it is difficult for the firs and last chracter.

I enclose a screen-shot hoping to clarify my issue.

post-37112-0-64889400-1477498339_thumb.jpg

Shift double-click can select one word, another shift double-click on another word will select it and all intervening words/spaces.

Ctrl + Shift + arrow keys will select a word beginning at the text cursor insertion point and select whole words thereafter.

Of course, ctrl + a will select the entirety of the contents of a text frame.

In 1.5 we have improved text selection in several ways. The Text tool should now ignore the selection handles if the mouse is inside the frame, so this should be better now than it was.

I frequently use double-click-drag to select multiple words. That is, mouse down, mouse up, mouse down, drag to select words, mouse up. Also triple-click will select a whole paragraph, and quadruple-click will select the entire story. Double-click-drag and triple-click are pretty standard and work in most apps. I think only Affinity does quadruple-click, and it sounds horrendous, but I think it works quite well to have each extra click select more of the text.

I think only Affinity does quadruple-click, and it sounds horrendous, but I think it works quite well to have each extra click select more of the text.

PagePlus does it too, of course, and although it does sound horrendous I also think it works quite well. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)