You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the size of the brush. In the top panel the size is in px and in the stroke panel it is in pt. It took me a while to find out that the size is the same but just the unit of measure is different. Is there a possibility to have the same unit for both panels?

Regards

Jochen

• Staff

Hi j_illustrator,

Welcome to the forums.

The Brush tool is displayed in PX, but the Stroke panel is getting it's measurement settings from your Document Setup. If you Open Preferences > User Interface, uncheck the option Show Lines in points and Close. You can now open Document setup and change that to pixels or something else if you wanted and the Stroke tab will update.

Hope this helps.

L

A small by the way. A point is a unit of typographic measurement. The size is usually 1/72nd of an inch. My recollection is that when Apple began developing the Mac as a desktop publishing and graphics platform, the display was 72 square pixels per inch, for greater compatibility with page layout. 

As far as I can tell, the new retina display doubles that.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Way more, Apple's retina displays in Macs are about 220 ppi. 

Thanks for the note. I worked thru the math on the display info, and get a 26.7" diagonal ay 220 ppi, which is pretty close to the specified 27". I was going by the info I was seeing from the Preview screen captures, which is reads 144. The app prefs say 1 pt = 1 pixel.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet