You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta (RC3) - 1.5.0.27 (Windows)

Hi,

as for UI design I have one big problem. I need to be able to generate a simple global grid (guides) system which can be applied on all artboards. It is an essential functionality which is not working and the only thing at the moment discouraging me to moving from Photoshop to this beautiful software.

On Windows also I am unable to create a guide for any artboard except the first one (only vertical one). Referring to the version 1.5.0.26.

Also when I export PSD, in Photoshop the layers absolutely do not correspond and it is useless.

Thank you for any feedback on this.

Best,

Ladislav

Blimey, that is a lot of profiles! Any chance you could zip up all of the ICC profiles and attach them here? Or PM me a link to them. I'll add them here and see which one is the culprit. 

Because of size limitation, will do in 'ICC tranches'

ICCs 1.zip

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

Because of size limitation, will do in 'ICC tranches'

Second and final Tranche.

ICCs 2.zip

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

• Staff

Hi,

as for UI design I have one big problem. I need to be able to generate a simple global grid (guides) system which can be applied on all artboards. It is an essential functionality which is not working and the only thing at the moment discouraging me to moving from Photoshop to this beautiful software.

On Windows also I am unable to create a guide for any artboard except the first one (only vertical one). Referring to the version 1.5.0.26.

Also when I export PSD, in Photoshop the layers absolutely do not correspond and it is useless.

Thank you for any feedback on this.

Best,

Ladislav

Hey ladislavsulc,

The global guides is an excellent idea and I would definitely post it in the Feature Requests. I've had a quick look and couldn't find it. A possible workaround would be to apply your desired guides to one artboard and then duplicate it. The only problem is if you had to change it further down the line, you'd have to change them all separately.

The ruler guide only showing vertically is a known bug. The horizontal one does drag out but it is quite offset from the pointer. If you keep dragging you might eventually see it. 

Hey ladislavsulc,

The global guides is an excellent idea and I would definitely post it in the Feature Requests. I've had a quick look and couldn't find it. A possible workaround would be to apply your desired guides to one artboard and then duplicate it. The only problem is if you had to change it further down the line, you'd have to change them all separately.

The ruler guide only showing vertically is a known bug. The horizontal one does drag out but it is quite offset from the pointer. If you keep dragging you might eventually see it. 

This is what I currently do to circumvent the problem. I have the default bootstrap grid set up on a single artboard document ready to create new projects from. It works, but I'd love to see an expansion in guide creation/management options in 1.6. Posted a feature request yesterday here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/26874-guide-layout/

So for for a RC, I am not impressed. There are too many functions missing to be a usable product.

No color separation for spot colors or even cmyk.

Not easy to replace colors, ie loaded spot from one to another globally.

No Fill tool to have a fill and/or stroke to just click over objects to change them.

Pencil and brush tools still don't allow for continuation of stroke by pressing over where you left off (DrawPlus has this perfect)

Awkward to change line weights no short keys ie "[" & "]"

Missing a vector brush

No Lasso modifier (alt key) not even a lasso tool

No array tools to be able to bind shapes to a path.

I am running Affinity on a 4ghz 8 core machine with 16gb of memory and it seems overall just sluggish where as DP and PP are lightning fast with no lag.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing Affinity but so far I am disappointed. What scares me more is will DrawPlus, PagePlus and PhotoPlus still be supported if this is released? I have thousands of files in the older series of programs and hate to have to start migrating to another suite such as either back to Canvas or jump to Corel.

I know it is still in beta but when it says release candidate and what is in it now scares me. Seems like a very unfinished product, just my opinion.

Thanks

Congrats on the release candidates - so glad this program is coming to fruition and I FINALLY have a great replacement for Fireworks!

I have a quick question - a big part of my job (when using Fireworks) is knocking out product images from their backgrounds.

Under the Pixel Persona, the Selection Brush tool - how do you adjust the "sensitivity" of how much the brush selects?

At times I'll select near the edge of the product within the image but the selection will "spill over" into the parts I want to keep.

I see the Refine options, but traditionally that's for "cleaning up" the selection after the fact.

How do you adjust the "Tolerance" / sensitivity of the Selection Brush tool?

Thanks!

-Will

Edit:  While I'm here before I forget, at times when see what I consider a "complex" selection, I'll usually draw out a rectangle, make it 50% transparent and then add nodes to fit around the object I wish to knock out - then (again using Fireworks), there's an option "Convert object to selection" - I'd love to see this in Designer!

I see the option to Layer -> Rasterize to Mask, but it makes the image disappear in unmasked areas and the area under my shape becomes semi-transparent??

Guess I need to find the docs on this to understand why the remainder becomes dimmed out?

All I need is a selection from which I can cut out the selected part and paste back in as a separate component / layer...

Hi only7yb,

Have you tried your pc recycle bin with deleted files? Mine still had the installer of the previous beta.

Hi biscuit,

I even tried data recovery, but it's lost. :(

If you could WeTransfer it to me (only7yb(at)gmail.com) would be awesome.

Unless threre still is a place out there I could download it from?