You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove Artboards Gray Border (Option ?)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that the artboard border is still there in v1.6.0 and is very confusing, as it doesn't appear on every artboard (I've set the top 3 artboards to the same background color to demonstrate this). As seen in attachement 2, even a simple rectangle element with no stroke placed inside an artboard seems to have blurry edges on top and bottom. Those blurry edges don't appear in exported formats such as png, but are still confusing whilst designing. I'm using macOS High Sierrra 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro 13-inch Late 2013 with an LG 34UC98 Display.

Is there any current solution to this or will we have to wait for another update?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-04 um 17.01.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-04 um 17.03.07.png

• Staff

Hi moriarty,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are already aware of this. It's related with the way the programs renders objects on screen. It's not the border issue described in the previous posts.

If you zoom in/out you will see that the "edge" changes position - it may appear on another side or do not appear at all. If you set the zoom to 100% it shouldn't appear at all.

In any case this doesn't affect program's output as you have observed.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2017 at 11:29 AM, MEB said:

Meanwhile to hide everything outside the canvas area go to menu View ▸ View Mode  and tick/enable Clip to Canvas.

I have the updated version of Affinity Designer and the view mode is set to Clip to Canvas and still, I have nasty border-lines in the final jpf and pdf-exports, which I can't leave in the final print master-file. As I also need to export files with the embedded fonts for the printer, I can't edit the file in Affinity Photo, as then the edited artboards are flattended down to pixels.

Is there any known help to this issue yet? I spent days on trying to find a workaround, but did not find anything yet. It would really be essential for me that this issue is solved in a timely manner, as otherwise Affinity Designer is not usable for me.

• 2 weeks later...

@RGerhart I complained about this too. There's no fix, there are only workarounds...

You need to have your artboards positioned at whole pixel coordinates and they need to have whole pixel sizes. This "fixes" the issue.

Serif, we still need a real fix to this. Thanks.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

Thank you so much @WhiteX

That explains why one artboard line is not as strongly visible as the rest.

But I am not sure exactly how to avoid this issue, because I need a certain exact inch-size for my artboards to be accepted for print. So I form the artboards by entering the exact measurements I need for my final results.

I had not been aware that entering an inch-measurement does not result in full pixel-artboards and causes such a strange issue.

Thank you very much for your help and I agree with you, a fix for this is urgently needed!

That's the exact same problem I had / have, just with the A4 print size. Either of the provided print templates convert to whole pixel units unfortunately. What I do in such a case is, I create an artboard with a print template (A4, Letter, etc), then I change the document units to pixels, change any values to whole numbers (coordinates and sizes), and that's it. The document will have virtually the same physical size. Any printshop should accept them.... but this is still a workaround.

In your case you can create the artboard in the desired size in inch or other units, and before exporting, just switch to pixel units and correct the numbers.

I'm not sure why can't be this done automatically during the export, but it would be great if we could just take care of the design work. In an ideal world we would not have to deal with pixel peeping / tweaking in a VECTOR app...

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

• 1 year later...