You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The cropping tool does not work. Clicking on the icon merely changes the cursor. I can shift the photo on the background, but that's all.  I watched the cropping tutorial 3 times. The only thing I learned was that the demo had a different layout of tools on the toolbar than I had, and there was no context toolbar displayed when the crop icon was selected. It was nothing but a black band.  The tutorial demo showed a default of the thirds grid as soon as the crop tool was selected. That did not happen for me.

• Staff

Hi DaveG703,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Crop Tool you are describing is from Affinity Designer, which is an object based crop tool. The videos you are seeing are probably from Affinity Photo which has a document based crop tool with several options in the context toolbar. Those are different programs and their crop tools also differ in how they work.

I do not question what you have said, but I don't see that as a response to my problem. Therefore I will state it more directly:

How in heck do I get the crop tool to work in the Beta of Affinity Designer? (If indeed it works at all.) It is the only Affinity program I have.

The Affinity Designer Vector Crop Tool will only crop objects. To use it for that, select it, click on a vector shape, & drag the handles that appear at the edges of the selected shape, or drag the shape itself. (The status bar at the bottom of the workspace window briefly tells you how to use the tool, so you can refer to that.)

It will not work like the cropping tool you saw in the video (no thirds grid, no context toolbar options) because the video shows the Affinity Photos crop tool, which works differently.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

The Vector Crop Tool works on all type of objects vector based or not. It can also be used to crop (image) and (pixel) layer types. The main difference apart from the options offered in the context toolbar for the Crop Tool in Photo is that in Designer the Vector Crop Tool is object based rather than document based, which means it will NOT crop the document - just the selected object.

• 4 years later...

Normally I crop the canvas by using from Designer the "Edit in Photo" command. It works and I am satisfied of that. Then I go back in Designer.

But now I have a Designer file that, when I pass to Photo, gets the crop tool disabled (greyed).

Why?

Thanks

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9

2 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Why?

Because it has artboards. Not compatible with the pixel crop tool. An artboard is essentially the master crop tool in Designer.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

42 minutes ago, loukash said:

Because it has artboards. Not compatible with the pixel crop tool. An artboard is essentially the master crop tool in Designer.

On Windows the Crop Tool is still available in Photo when the document has Artboards.

However, when you click Apply the cropping you have setup is thrown away, and the document remains unchanged.

That's different from the behavior that @Gianni Becattini described.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows the Crop Tool is still available in Photo when the document has Artboards.

Not the only Mac vs Win difference, haha…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

44 minutes ago, loukash said:

Not the only Mac vs Win difference, haha…

Since "Apply" apparently doesn't do anything I don't think it matters. 😄

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

I understand that this depends on Artboards. But can I go back from an Artboard-design to a non-Artboard-design?

As far as I know, no, except by copy/pasting content into a new document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

can I go back from an Artboard-design to a non-Artboard-design

Sure.
Select the Artboard layer, hit the Delete key, in the dialog window confirm Keep Objects.