You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The one thing that stops Affinity Designer from being the perfect tool for UI design for me is the lack of an ability to set up a guide layout.

There is almost this functionality in the grid set up options, just without the ability to make grid tiles the full height of the artboard and add a default margin on the left/right/top/bottom independent of the gutter. The ability to save a guide layout preset in the Guide Manager and load it up in future documents has been mentioned previously, and this is potentially another great way to solve the problem, so +1 to that idea too.

My issue is just that when setting up a new document I need to be able to quickly set up the bootstrap grid as guides before I start. My current workaround is to set up the guides in a document and use that as a template for any web UI work I need to do. 

Please consider adding a Guide Layout feature and/or Custom Guide Presets (honestly the Guides Manager is currently brilliant, it just needs extending).

I'm so very close to being able to replace PS/AI with AF. 

Cheers

• Staff

Dynamic guide tools will be coming soon.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Not as yet.  But once we start working on 1.6, we will decide which features to prioritise.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

For the developers:

Please check out this great grid calculator if you don't already know it:

http://gridcalculator.dk/#/980/12/20/20

You can use the arrow keys to inc/decrease the values and all relative values are updated accordingly.

A similar functionality would be insanely useful for web 

This is exactly the sort of functionality I'm after. Great reference!

• Staff

That's already in the plan...

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Looking forward to this - without it is very inefficient to create column grids for designs and web layouts.

Will formulas be supported so that a grid can be applied that automatically updates when the page dimensions are changed? And will guide presets be available to the user?

A bit like this:

m784l3.png

• Staff

@Herbert123

Whatever we do, it will be dynamic.  I've looked at various grid/guide styles and I hope we'll be able to incorporate the common ones.  Just like our shapes, customisation will be key.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

@Ben Sounds good.

A couple of questions about the current implementation of guides in AD:

• Currently guides can only be dragged from the rulers when the move tool is active. It is a hassle to switch tools if a quick guide is needed while working in a different tool mode. Will this be reconsidered?
  • Guides seem to live in their own invisible layer. Often it is handy (almost required) to have multiple guide systems with different colours in the same document. When the guide grid creator option is added, will it be possible to have multiple layered grid systems as well?

@Ben Sounds good.

A couple of questions about the current implementation of guides in AD:

• Currently guides can only be dragged from the rulers when the move tool is active. It is a hassle to switch tools if a quick guide is needed while working in a different tool mode. Will this be reconsidered?
  • Guides seem to live in their own invisible layer. Often it is handy (almost required) to have multiple guide systems with different colours in the same document. When the guide grid creator option is added, will it be possible to have multiple layered grid systems as well?

And offcourse toggle shortcuts for it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

@Ben the new dynamic grid is great (as implemented in 1.7.3.481), but still not ideal.

I'm working on an icon collection. I had setup a custom advanced grid (which is still not dynamic) with 64x64 pixel tiles for the icons that have a slim 16 pixel gutter horizontally just for visual separation and a bigger 32 pixel gutter vertically to have space for a icon name label.  Within the 64x64 tiles my only option is the number of divisions. I  chose 16. Symmetry and centering is a big thing in icons, so having instead the dynamic subdivision based on zoom would be much better. With maybe two parameters, 1) number of divisions per zoom level, 2) number of zoom levels visible (currently only two, up to three of four would be nice, getting progressively faint). That way I can get clear lines at the center of each icon, level two at quarters and level three at eights. And it all jumps by a factor of 0.5 when I zoom in more.

Thanks!