You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For my last two concepts I decided to create this with Affinity Designer instead of with Affinity Photo. I wanted to see if I could keep the same workflow. I love these programs! You can see more of my concepts and some of my process on my Artstation profile. Enjoy!

post-256-0-24194800-1477359070_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-81580800-1477359093_thumb.png

Brett Stebbins

www.brettstebbins.comX profile

That is some awesome work. I think it looks good enough to be featured (if it were my call).

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Very nice! Did you really only use AD to make this? Must have taken a while to design these flowers and bushes.

Yes I only used AD. The flowers are from a set of Photoshop foliage brushes I imported into AD. I used a combination of layer blend modes, brushes, brush blend modes, layer nesting and textures to create this concept.

Brett Stebbins

Very cool, delicious!

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Hey guys! So, up to this point I had been working within Affinity Photo. I originally did this because AP is advertised as the replacement for Photoshop. I made illustrations and concept art in Photoshop so AP seemed like the natural transition. Then after using AP and AD for sometime I started thinking to myself that I can do everything I do in AP in AD. I need the blend modes, brushes, layer nesting, layer effects and layer adjustments mostly. All these are in both AP and AD. My work does not need the photographic features for editing photos that are in AP. I also started thinking about what the intent by Serif for AP versus AD was. I concluded that they mostly intended for AD to be used for graphic design, UI/UX, and illustration and that AP was mainly for photography, photo editing and photo manipulation. So, I decided to try using AD for the same workflow I was doing in AP. I mostly work in the Pixel Persona for the type of work I do but I like having the option to pull in vector elements if I want to. The only thing in AP that I would use on occasion that is not in AD is some of the warping I can do in the Liquify Persona. Since it is easy to switch an open document between AD and AP I can use those features still. Once AP updates to 1.5 I'll have that ability back again. I hope this answers some of your questions :).

Brett Stebbins

Hey guys! So, up to this point I had been working within Affinity Photo. I originally did this because AP is advertised as the replacement for Photoshop. I made illustrations and concept art in Photoshop so AP seemed like the natural transition. Then after using AP and AD for sometime I started thinking to myself that I can do everything I do in AP in AD. I need the blend modes, brushes, layer nesting, layer effects and layer adjustments mostly. All these are in both AP and AD. My work does not need the photographic features for editing photos that are in AP. I also started thinking about what the intent by Serif for AP versus AD was. I concluded that they mostly intended for AD to be used for graphic design, UI/UX, and illustration and that AP was mainly for photography, photo editing and photo manipulation. So, I decided to try using AD for the same workflow I was doing in AP. I mostly work in the Pixel Persona for the type of work I do but I like having the option to pull in vector elements if I want to. The only thing in AP that I would use on occasion that is not in AD is some of the warping I can do in the Liquify Persona. Since it is easy to switch an open document between AD and AP I can use those features still. Once AP updates to 1.5 I'll have that ability back again. I hope this answers some of your questions :).

Great insight Brett and it sort of sums up my thoughts on both AD and AP as well. I use AD for everything and since I don't use the warping feature in my illustration workflow, I haven't really had much cause to switch over to AP.  AD also has a lot of the final image adjustment features I need to tweak my illustrations after they are complete.

Good to have a bit of background and thoughts on how others are using these 2 apps. Cheers!