You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where are the WorkBook Project Resource links?

I just received my hardback copy of the Affinity Designer Workbook. It looks great.

At the start of each chapter is the "Resource" box with a filename in it. Where are these files to be found!? 

The book says, 

At the beginning of each project you will be provided with a link to download all the resources for that project that have been provided by the contributing illustrator/designer.

I see green box with the filename in it... but no link info. I tried tapping on it with my finger, but nothing happened. :)

• Staff

Hi bryan,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to the the green page at the beginning of each chapter and you should find a url like affin.co/xyz..

On the projects section the link is on the first page after the separator pages (in green too).

Type it on your browser to download the zipped resources files.

Basically you have to add the project name after the affin.co/ to download the resources for that project.

Thanks Advanced Member!

Maybe the instructions quoted above should have said "At the beginning of each chapter..." and then specify that each project will identify the respective files to use, since chapters have multiple projects in them. 

I was also surprised that the link was a direct download link... and not a page where I could selectively download the current project files only.

FYI

Thanks again for the clarification. 

UPDATE: 

It appears this is only true for the first chapter. The rest of the chapters have no links, and the first project page within those chapters does have the corresponding link. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The resources like .afdesign files are in a zip. You get the zip file by just typing ONLY the affin.co/xyz.. (but instead of xyz type it in exactly as it appears at the start of the chapter) nothing more or less. It will then download to your computer. Unzip it and find the resources for that chapter. There are 10 in total if you follow them all, including core skills.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Mitcherooney,

You can find the links on the following pages:

pages 126, 150, 184, 234, 262, 306, 338, 362, 414

They are all in green, and begin affix.co/

For example, the link on page 69 is http://affin.co/coreskills

Hope this helps :)

The resources like .afdesign files are in a zip. You get the zip file by just typing ONLY the affin.co/xyz.. (but instead of xyz type it in exactly as it appears at the start of the chapter) nothing more or less. It will then download to your computer. Unzip it and find the resources for that chapter. There are 9 in total if you follow them all.

There are nine if you're only counting the ones that are associated with specific chapters, but ten if you include the 'core skills' one. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Silly me!  I get it now the heading at the top of the page are files within the resource Folder 

for Example Chapter 2 (Page 69)

The zipped folder can be downloaded by typing the file affin.co/cskills into a browser.

The names in green boxes throughout the chapter are files within that zipped up Folder

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Rab, 

I ran into the same issue with this, the "actual" url is:

affin.co/coreskills

Drop it into a browser and the .zip file will start the download, book is very vague on this, would be great if resources were put in one place on the support site with direct linking, but thats just me..

-e

A good example of what isnt working:

affin.co/nibs_source.tiff

which is on page 200 of the book.

page returns a 404 error (see attached)

Question:

Is this resource suppose to live at this address?

Of is it expected to be extracted from the coreSkills session?

-> Follow-up i checked the core skills and this project has no associated project references with it..(they dont live with the core skills session).

What am I not seeing here?

Wouldnt just a drop box or some FTP with ALL resources stored in the archive be way easier then having to goto each, theres like almost one a page.. Just a thought..8), put em all with the core skiils in another folder...

BTW love the suite so far!! 

Thanks for any insight into this 8)

-e

post-45714-0-36767700-1482293649_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I also am having trouble getting into this core skills site. This is so unusual for Serif.  I have been using Serif products since PagePlusx2 also with Drawplus. Have just bought the wookbook, along with the program and would like to follow the book. Trying to convert from DrawPlusX8 , Also don't see the replicate tool, but I guess we have to do that differently too.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

• Staff

Hi Whisper3,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Take a look at the following video tutorial regarding the duplicate functionality in Affinity apps: Power duplicate.

Here’s some additional resources that may help you get started. Take a look at the extensive video tutorial library since it already covers most of all apps functionality/features.

- In-house Video Tutorials for Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo
- The Help file (menu Help ▸ AffinityDesigner/Photo Help) covers extensively all features/tools of the each program.  It’s a great reference too, don’t overlook it.
- I’ve also compiled a list of other learning resources here, including third party Books, Training Courses and Tutorials

If you have any further questions, just ask here in the forums. There's always users and staff willing to help.

I am impressed with Power Duplicate.

So am I, but what it does is similar to what the Replicate command does in DrawPlus. The Replicate Tool in DrawPlus X8 is much more powerful.

http://www.serif.com/appresources/DPX8/Help/en-gb/drawplus.htm#help/replicating_an_object.htm#MT_ReplicateTool

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot download the files from affin.co/coreskills on my PC as both Firefox and Edge 'helpfully' add www. at the start. That results in an error message.

I have just spent a frustrating hour trying - and I was so looking forward to learning from this workbook

How do I access these files, please?

Thanks

• Staff

AMC68

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

Try typing adding https:// to the front of each link (found at the start of each chapter) like this https://affin.co/coreskills

In the second run of this book we are adding the "https://" on the page to be more explicit (the first German edition also has https:// prefixes)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon