You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[.26] 0% opacity = can't select object anymore

Confirmed here. Even if it's spellchecked text with a squiggly red underline (whose opacity doesn't change) I still can't select the object.

While trying to reduce the opacity gradually to see if there was a higher cut-off point, I found that the slider jumped from 3% to 0%. I had to type in 2% and 1% to test those values, but the object remained selectable all the way down to 0%.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

If I click (or for a 0% opaque object on top of another object just alt+click to cycle through objects), I can select an object in outline mode or normal mode.

So I am not seeing this, there must be a bit more to the recipe, is it for one particular type of object?. Can you attach a file that demonstrates this please.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Sorry I was setting the fill opacity, are you setting the layer opacity to 0% ? If so I concur

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Ok, the mac version allows for selection of 0% opaque layers in outline mode, but not normal mode.

Also they cannot be selected with drag select or even Ctrl+A !!

Other than setting 0% layer opacity by accident and then wanting to re-select the object to change it away from 0%, do you have a genuine use case to want to set a layer to 0%? I think that there are a few things going on here, but I am interested in how you got to this case.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

It was an accident, but it is still a bug, a very minor one i agree. 

If it would turn off the layer (little checkbox) when i set it to 0%, then it would be okay not to be able to select it.

But the layer is still there, as it should, and it's also visible in outline mode, but is untouchable.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.