You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotate image and resize - 'straighten' the bounding box

Hi there,

In Affinity Photo I want to resize part of an image in one direction (changing the proportion from top to bottom) that is on a slant. I select the move tool and the bounding box is set in orientation with the image. If I rotate that box it remains in the same orientation to the original object no matter what I do with cropping or pasting to another file. Is there a way of reorienting the bounding box.

Thanks

post-14214-0-15126400-1477307527_thumb.png

Thanks for that, v. helpful

I presume it's in the spirit of non-destructive editing but is odd that the reset isn't remembered. If I deselect the object and then reselect it goes back to the original orientation. However, if you change the rotation position, in the same set of buttons, this stays repositioned.

Is there a setting where I can keep the new orientation, until I decide to change it? Or can this behaviour be added?

The really odd behaviour is if I select a small portion of the image in a 'straightened' orientation and delete the rest, the selection box maintains the original slanted orientation but smaller, which really doesn't make sense. I know this is a small detail but it's the sort of thing that interupts workflow.

Thanks

post-14214-0-53095700-1477389840_thumb.png

• 6 years later...
On 10/25/2016 at 5:14 AM, Leigh said:

With the Move Tool selected you can use the Reset Selection Box option from the Context Toolbar:

post-19-0-22049900-1477386881_thumb.png

I know I'm 7-year late, but this option seems to be missing in the current version. Any idea how I can do this with the current version?
Thanks in advance!

ff.png

41 minutes ago, Befghist said:

Any idea how I can do this with the current version?

Away from the computer right now, but I think it's in the Layer menu, Reset Bounding Box (default shortcut is the . key).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1