You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke improvements

I've found that Affinity Designer's Expand Stroke function is pretty terrible. It creates way too many points on the path. I've also found that with lines that have had their pressure adjusted, the ends are expanded using corner node, so they loose the smooth curve of the original.

I've included a screenshot to illustrate what I'm talking about. A 2 node straight line with rounded end caps is expanded to have 22 points. A straight line with the pressure adjusted is no better and the ends loose their curve and become sharp points. A curved line with adjusted pressure is just plain ridiculous. And there is no function to simplify the shape, so you can't get rid of all the extra point easily.

Just don't expanded the stroke then? I wouldn't for an illustration normally, but when I want to make a SVG for web, I need to expand the strokes when I've adjusted the pressure because pressure adjustments don't translate into the SVG file. All the extra points ends up bloating the size the of the SVG and the pointed line ends look kind of crappy.

I'd really love to see that improved.

I'm loving Affinity Designer, especially after the 1.5 update.

Keep it up

– Pete

post-10269-0-77687600-1477277366_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, this point still holds me at the moment from using Affinity Designer for real projects. I really want to do more than just play around with it.  :(

Please take a look art the Astute Graphics Plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator and how grat the are at removing and adding point. These tasks play a very important role in the creation of vector graphics.

Glad to here that's on the roadmap.

I was going to go back to using Illustrator but after using Affinity Designer, I didn't like using Ai's node/pen tools (the node are almost microscopic) as much as Affinity's. So as a work around, I'm actually designing in Affinity and any time I need to expand a stroke, I cut & paste into illustrator, expand it there and then cut & paste back into Affinity. Not ideal but it works enough that I don't have to completely switch back to illustrator.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...