You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

I'm having recently some trouble with bleeds. I'm a newbie to graphic stuff, I've created a poster and now i need to print it and cut off the edges, so there are no white borders around it. 

In the document setup, I've set the bleeds to be 3mm on each side. When exporting, I've added all the crop marks and all the stuff, but when I export it to the final pdf file, the bleed marks are 3mm away from the poster, not in it actually (please see attachements, and the bleed is much bigger just to notice the difference). I want Affinity Designer to put the bleed marks in the actual poster, so there will be part of the image cut off. Unfortunately, I can't set bleed with minus at the beginning. Could anyone please help me?

Thank you. A lot. 

Mike

ostrava4.pdf

Margins would have no effect in bleeds..

michalpta, you are supposed to create your poster as final size (like A2), and all bleed and printer marks stuff happen outside that poster area. AD adds print area as needed to cover extra markings and they are supposedly cut physically off in after printing. You just have to take care to position artwork (images & objects) so that it extends beyond poster edge (3-5mm is ok). Bleeds need to be defined in Document setup and actuated in export>more.

Sure it does.

If you set your margins to 3mm and your bleed to 3mm, It'll output exactly as michalpta .pdf

Well I did. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32453/margins-bleed.pdf

A6 document, upper cyan square within margins, lower orange set to bleed. Margin is just ordinary document area, only special thing being it may not print if your printer does not print to the edge.

Sorry for my inactivity. 

So I have to extend the work beyond the artboard to make the bleeds work? That's pretty stupid and imprecise in my eyes.

A question to any admin, are you planning to add the possibility of "minus bleeds" in the future? 

Thank you however. :)

mike

Edit: so there it is in afdesign file, with one question. The photo extends the artboard a bit on the left and on the right side, so why doesn't it shown in the export? 

ostrava_zpiva2.afdesign

• Staff

Hi mike,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, you have to extend the artwork a little beyond the canvas/artboard to cover the bleed area. The issue here is that currently there's isn't a bleed preview on canvas so you don't know exactly where it is. This will be implemented in a future version.

• Staff

Hi mike,

I've checked the file in you previous post (#8). You are only extending the artwork to both left and right of the canvas. You could enlarge it a little to extend beyond all sides. You may also want to extend the transparent white rectangle a little (top and bottom).

Then you need to specify the Bleed value going to menu File ▸ Document Setup, Bleed tab (which is currently set to 0mm). Set it to 3mm.

After that when exporting make sure you click the More button and check Include bleed and Include printers marks checkboxes.

• 3 months later...

Hi mike,

Yes, you have to extend the artwork a little beyond the canvas/artboard to cover the bleed area. The issue here is that currently there's isn't a bleed preview on canvas so you don't know exactly where it is. This will be implemented in a future version.

Hi, may I know if bleed preview is going to be added in 1.6?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, may I know if bleed preview is going to be added in 1.6?

Thank you.

+1 This is an important feature! IMHO it should be there from day one.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 1 year later...

I'm having an issue where my artwork extends outside the canvas, however when I export the PDF with bleed, there's no where to set the bleed. Is the bleed set via the "Margins" ? That seems to be the only thing that I can find in relation to the document/canvas (using both latest RC versions of Designer and Photo).

• 2 months later...
On 25.10.2016 at 1:53 PM, MEB said:

Hi mike,

2018 STILL no preview. 2 years and still can't add that option? I just purchased your product & I feel dissapointed

• Staff

Hi wudem,

I'm sorry to know it didn't fulfil your expectations. Bleed preview is indeed taking more time than what's expected. I believe this is related with the way it works with different types of document (canvas and artboard based documents on Designer) as well as improvements/support in the upcoming Affinity Publisher where this is also essential. Since all apps of the suite are able to open/understand the files created in any of the other apps (they share a common file format) we have to ensure bleed preview will work on all of them (Publisher included). So don't give up on us just yet. The Public Beta of Affinity Publisher is coming this summer and i believe some time around that point bleed preview will also come to Designer.

Hi Meb, thanks for response. I understand that. Hope it will be included in near future. And as much as I like Affinity Photo and got rid off Photoshop, Affinity Designer needs some impovements. Shape building tool in AI was crucial for me, also smoother tool was very handy. I miss that in Affinity Designer and have too wait until you improve that tools, so I can switch for AD too. Fingers crossed :) Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

+1 for Bleed Preview, bleed export for tiff and other image formats.

I'm currently working on a print project, which is the first larger one in designer. And I have to say that the lack of bleed is making some exports more difficult than is needed.

So please add non-pdf bleed exports to designer.

I've used freehand, illustrator and inkscape which all were able to do this. I understand that AD uses artboards so it not a one to one thing. However perhaps a per art board tick could work. I won't pretend to understand the difficulty to make it work properly. But I do know that this is important even when you come out with the publisher app. Since it would be great to work like I used to in freehand, which had enough publish tool to support small - med projects ... then for bigger one you wold use scribes, quark or indesign.

I'm looking forward to your next update of designer very much and hope it includes lots of the little needed features and bug fix.

Cheers

• 2 years later...