You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

sorin.jurcut

I've gotta say I bought Paolo Limoncelli's DAUB brushes, and they were worth it. Love them to bits, love AP too, though it still feels sluggish with large images on a 16 GB Macbook pro, which isn't that awesome. But nevertheless, pretty cool !

Somehow though I feel as if AD's pixel persona is better at digital painting than AP's. Probably because AP has no eyedropper tool. Also, the alt-click colorpicker doesn't feel great at all... needs some polishing.

Anyways, bickering aside, here's what I managed to create. :) It's not really great, but I did learn some stuff doing it, since I didn't skip the initial "construction" phase of drawing lines and marking proportions. I'm trying to learn digital paiting for some time now, and somehow I've got problems because I always end up comparing myself with people who've been at it for years. It's stupid, but It's the only way I know how to scale, and because I think it helps me get better faster. The downside is that I always feel bad about what I do.

post-38301-0-83815400-1477254299_thumb.jpg

UI and UX designer extraordinaire, dad, avid Destiny player, and generally striving for decency.

Lovely brushwork... Thank you for the mention.

This piece confirms that in portraits the artist always depicts something of himself... The expression is almost the same.

Or at least I guess so, since the person in your avatar is you.  :lol:

though it still feels sluggish with large images

Of which resolution (pixels) are you talking about?

Just to know...

@carolbeck

I think he is talking about the alt+click access to sample colours.

Sometimes it seems to "stuck", and depends on the fact that you need to click and drag to pick colours.

Digital painters want to pick on click, and with this scenario the current AP picker sometimes misses the hit.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I've attached a SS of the Affinity photo toolbar. I don't see any eyedropper tool.

Also, on the normal one, It's soooo frustrating that the color doesn't get applied to the active color as soon as you pick it.

And yes, Paolo is right with the alt-click color picker, it doesn't give me any visual feedback on where I pick from, and is sometimes stuck, as in in continuous pick mode. (not sure why)

@Paolo: Thanks for the kind words. Somehow I always end up painting more manlier pics... ugh ! :)) The person in the portrait is a portuguese actress/singer, Lucia Moniz

I was working at 7500 something at 300 dpi and wanted to do a brushtroke with one of your brushes... it lagged like hell.

post-38301-0-93206800-1477305959_thumb.png

UI and UX designer extraordinaire, dad, avid Destiny player, and generally striving for decency.

7500 something at 300 dpi

What does "something" stand for?

Hope pixels... Otherwise (if you mean mm) you're painting on something like 88582px canvas, which is insane and almost impossible to handle by any produced software yet...  :)

These are my tips:

To my experience going above 6000px in digital painting is somehow a waste of resolution.

A 4k file print well up to A3 at 300dpi, a 6k file is perfect for a 70x100cm print.

On the software side, what slows down AP is (in order):

• Tool > With the same parameters Pixel Tool is always faster than Paintbrush, I guess that AA is the reason.
  • Spacing > Anything below 4% is pretty demanding
  • Texture 
  • Nozzle size > Up to 1024px nozzles work fine, above you could find slowness.
  • Wet edges

Waiting for improvements on the engine, to speed up AP with hi-res documents (>4k):

• Turn off Rulers
  • Use Pixel Tool

Some of my Pigmento tools are designed specifically for the Pixel Tool, which delivers a responsive stroke even at 200px radius and above.

These tools are the ones suitable for blocking large areas.

I tend to use paintbrush for details.

Interesting discussion fellas. Nice piece Sorin.

While we're wading in these waters Paolo, is there any particular reason that in AP the brush automatically picks the right tool in the tool panel based on if it's pixel or brush based and the same doesn't happen in AD in pixel persona...? It would great if at some point that behaviour got ported over to AD as well...

Cheers!

Interesting discussion fellas. Nice piece Sorin.

While we're wading in these waters Paolo, is there any particular reason that in AP the brush automatically picks the right tool in the tool panel based on if it's pixel or brush based and the same doesn't happen in AD in pixel persona...? It would great if at some point that behaviour got ported over to AD as well...

Cheers!

Basically because Serif has't implemented this feature yet in AD...

Why they did not I don't know, but I'm sure that there is an important reason.

I'll wait patiently  :)

What does "something" stand for?

Hope pixels... Otherwise (if you mean mm) you're painting on something like 88582px canvas, which is insane and almost impossible to handle by any produced software yet...  :)

These are my tips:

To my experience going above 6000px in digital painting is somehow a waste of resolution.

A 4k file print well up to A3 at 300dpi, a 6k file is perfect for a 70x100cm print.

On the software side, what slows down AP is (in order):

• Tool > With the same parameters Pixel Tool is always faster than Paintbrush, I guess that AA is the reason.
  • Spacing > Anything below 4% is pretty demanding
  • Texture 
  • Nozzle size > Up to 1024px nozzles work fine, above you could find slowness.
  • Wet edges

Waiting for improvements on the engine, to speed up AP with hi-res documents (>4k):

• Turn off Rulers
  • Use Pixel Tool

Some of my Pigmento tools are designed specifically for the Pixel Tool, which delivers a responsive stroke even at 200px radius and above.

These tools are the ones suitable for blocking large areas.

I tend to use paintbrush for details.

It was pixels, as you might've guessed.  :)) Nobody's as insane as to try sizes like that. Although, now that you mention it, being able to design 16m canvases within Affinity Designer wouldn't be bad at all !

Thanks for the nice tips ! I'll keep them in mind !

Nobody's as insane as to try sizes like that.

There are lots of professional and very skilled illustrators with difficulties in the digital context and it is pretty understandable: the DPI/PPI/LPI mess still makes victims.

You're clearly not one of them, but trust me when I say: don't underestimate the human being...  :)

I was talking recently with an Italian illustrator who contacted me, unable to use my tools in CSP...

Well I discovered that he was trying to paint on a 800 DPI A3 canvas (from his scanner)... Using an old iMac 24...

Basically because Serif has't implemented this feature yet in AD...

Why they did not I don't know, but I'm sure that there is an important reason.

I'll wait patiently  :)

Cheers Paolo, figured it was something like that. :-) It might be the kind of thing that goes unnoticed to most unless you try painting in both apps. I have brought it up before to the team so let's hope it can be implemented soon-ish. Cheers!